Friday, April 18, 2008

Sorghum waffle celebration

If you're a daffodil and tulip lover, you need to visit the Skagit Valley in Washington some April for the annual Tulip Festival. My husband and I combined a trip to visit my daughter in Seattle with a side trip to bike through the tulip and daffodil fields near Mount Vernon and LaConnor. There was a sea of yellow daffodils everywhere, while the tulips were just getting started.
During the trip, I finished up 10 days of antibiotics for a bacterial infection that may have been causing my increase in digestive issues. It's been four days since I completed the antibiotics and my improvement is still holding. And because this took place while I was on a trip makes it an even bigger success. After all, being away from home and eating with special dietary issues is a challenge in itself. I ate Tom Yum soup (hot and sour Thai soup) at a lot of Seattle Thai restaurants but most of the time I had access to a kitchen to cook in. The down side was everyone expected me to do the cooking because they were afraid of cooking something that's wasn't "safe."

Usually, when I go on a trip, my stomach is a disaster for at least a week after I return. But this time, it's completely different. I actually felt good enough to cook up some sorghum waffles. This was a first for me as I had never cooked any gluten-free waffles but they were delicious!
Sorghum Waffles with Strawberries
(Makes 3 big waffles)

Ingredients:

1 cup sorghum flour (buckwheat flour can be substituted)
2 T. ground flax (or substitute 1 T. natural fiber supplement such as Acacia Tummy Fiber)
1 cup tapioca starch
4 T. arrowroot powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 T. organic brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
Optional: 2 scoops rice protein
1-1 1/2 cups rice milk
2-3 T. olive oil
3 T. applesauce
2 tsp. vanilla
Lots of strawberries (fresh or frozen)

Start heating your waffle maker. Spray with olive or canola oil. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine liquids in a separate bowl (start with 1 cup rice mik and add more if needed). Add liquids to dry ingredients and mix with a whisk. Add remaining milk as needed to obtain desired consistency. Follow your waffle maker instructions for making waffles. That means don't peak too soon. When waffles are ready, top with strawberries or other fruit.

No comments: