Sunday, June 6, 2010

Rutabaga fries

It's day 13 revisited on the virtually carb-less candida diet. I can't believe I've been through this all before but apparently there is a 50 percent recurrence rate for candida. I guess that means I need to dig in my heels and be more aggressive this time. To be honest, how long one stays after it depends on how long it's been a problem. I visited with someone recently who still is vigilent after two years but she had the problem for decades. That would be me.

I confess until I went on this candida diet I had never eaten a rutabaga before. I should have tried one sooner because they are surprisingly good and the best part, low in carbs compared to other root vegetables and potatoes. One cup raw sliced rutabaga has about 7 grams of carbohydrates which is about 1/3 of what a potato has. Rutabagas also have 3.5 grams of fiber, 50 calories, and more vitamins and minerals than potatoes.

They make great oven fries but require some special preparation. You will need to peel, cut them into rounds or strips, and steam them until tender before making them into oven fries. I skipped the steaming step and discovered they can be pretty tough to eat.

Ingredients:
  1. Rutabagas
  2. Olive oil
  3. Salt, garlic cloves minced, herbs de provence

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400-425 degrees. Peel rutabagas and slice into rounds or strips. Steam until tender.
  2. Drain and cool slightly.
  3. Toss with olive oil, minced garlic and desired seasoning. I used herbs de provence. Other ideas: salt, garlic powder, paprika; garam masala and garlic; 5-spice powder and minced ginger. Note: These should be sprinkled on immediately after the fries are done.
  4. Place the rutabaga on a sprayed baking sheet.
  5. Bake about 25 minutes, turning once half way. Check the rutabagas often as the speed at which they are done may vary depending on your oven and the size you sliced them. Remove them when they are golden brown.

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I LOVE these, have you tried celeriac? It's an acquired taste but with some spices it tastes awesome roasted!