|Bailey "chills out" in a sunny spot|
|"Mom, please move around quietly while we're chilling out."|
One thing that always gets neglected in my hurried pace is breakfast. I never seem to have a quick grab-and-go breakfast on hand although my chocolate quinoa power breakfast cookies http://catsinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2012/07/chocolate-quinoa-power-breakfast.html are a great healthy, vegan "fast food."
I end up having the same green smoothie (blended apple, kale, celery, cucumber, protein powder, chia, coconut water) almost every day. It's healthy but sometimes you need a change of pace.
|Cookie dough breakfast wrap|
|Nika, the poseable rug dog|
Quinoa Flatbread (makes 2 pieces)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (I used red quinoa but all kinds work.)
- 1 chia egg (mix 1 T. chia with 2 T. water and allow to gel overnight)
- Optional: spices such as cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a large baking sheet with pan spray.
- Put quinoa in food processor and blend until pretty mushy.
- Add in chia egg and continue to blend until the mixture balls together.
- Spread quinoa-chia mixture on baking sheet using wet hands or flatten with a large piece of wax paper as shown below to 1/4-inch in thickness.
|Flatbread dough being smooshed flat with wax paper|
- Bake for 30+ minutes until flatbread is crispy but pliable.
- Cut flatbread into two pieces with a pizza cutter.
|Baked and ready to eat|
- Store flatbread pieces, separated with wax paper, in the fridge.
- 1 can of organic garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 T. coconut nectar or agave syrup
- 2 T. sunbutter (or other seed or nut butter of choice)
- 2-3 T. cacao nibs
- Blend garbanzo beans, sweetener and sunbutter until smooth and creamy in food processor.
- Add in cacao nibs and pulse until just blended throughout the mixture.
|Cookie dough breakfast wrap ready to go|
Contributed to: http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2012/07/26/wellness-weekend-july-26-30-2012-and-question-for-you/