I also long for an occasional treat. My newest reward is Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Vanilla Tea. It's a new offering in the tea aisle. I love this herbal tea hot, iced and made into a tea-protein smoothie.
I like to combine a Sleepytime Vanilla Tea smoothie with my breakfast which is the most important meal of the day for me. I need to replenish my glycogen. If I skimp on breakfast, I won't have the energy I need for the day so I add a bowl of hot quinoa to my morning meal.
I take 2/3 cup cooked, whole-grain quinoa and mix it with 1/2 cup unsweetened hemp milk, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and some stevia for sweetener. I microwave this mixture for about 1 1/2 minutes. I top my cereal off with 1 T. of toasted pumpkin seeds. Pairing this cereal with a tea smoothie is the perfect mixture of carbs, protein and deliciousness.
Sleepytime Vanilla Tea Smoothie
- 1 cup extra-strength, brewed Sleepytime Vanilla Tea
- 1-2 scoops vanilla rice protein
- 1 tsp. guar gum powder
- alcohol-free stevia to taste
- 1 T. alcohol-free vanilla extract optional
- 2 cups crushed ice
- smidge of hemp milk for additional creaminess (optional)
- Brew Sleepytime Vanilla Tea. Use 2-3 bags per one cup of hot water.
- Chill the tea in the fridge.
- Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend on high until the mixture reaches a soft-serve ice cream-like texture.
Note: Makes a generous amount. You can store extra in the freezer for a treat later but it will need to be thawed out slightly before eating.