Sunday, August 29, 2010

Zucchini hashbrowns

One of my favorite side dishes, pre-candida days, was hashbrowns. Until recently, I just had to salivate watching other people eat hashbrowns.

But now, I can make ACD-friendly hashbrowns out of zucchinis, which I happen to have an enormous supply of in my garden. It was by accident that I discovered that zucchinis make a good substitute for potatoes in hashbrowns.

I was drying some shredded zucchini in the oven as an ingredient for a veggie pizza crust. I looked at those shredded zucchinis crisping in the oven and suddenly, they looked like hashbrowns.

These days, whenever I pick a good-sized zucchini from the garden, I shred it up in the food processor and make it into Zucchini Hashbrowns.

Ingredients (for 1 serving):
  1. Shredded zucchini from 2 medium-sized (or larger) unpeeled zucchinis
  2. 1/2 cup chopped onion, red and green peppers
  3. salt and pepper to taste
  4. Fresh basil or parsley for garnish
  5. olive oil pan spray

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Spread the shredded zucchini on a large baking sheet, sprayed with pan spray
  3. Sprinkle with salt and pepper
  4. Spray the zucchini with olive oil. Use an olive oil mister or purchased pan spray.
  5. Bake the zucchini until browned and crispy.
  6. In the meantime, saute the onion and pepper in a skillet.
  7. Add the crisp zucchini shreds to the skillet and mix.
  8. Garnish with fresh herbs for serving.

3 comments:

Elizabeth, blogging for SunButter said...

Hi Sheree,
I found your blog while looking for SunButter recipes, but I've kept following because of your terrific content. I LOVE this use of all the zucchini (our garden was very prolific this year, too). Thanks for another GREAT post!

Sheree Welshimer said...

I appreciate your comments. It keeps me posting to know that I am passing along some helpful information.

I have been enjoying lots of zucchini hashbrowns recently as the garden winds down.

Annie Eskeldson said...

I wonder if you could do this with shredded rutabagas. That has been our potato replacement. I'm going to try it! Going to use this recipe too. Your blog has helped us so much, Sheree. Can't thank you enough!