I do a lot of cycling, including some long-distance rides but those pre-packaged energy bars won't work for me because of my candida issues. It took some searching on the internet and experimenting but I finally came up with my own ACD-friendly energy bar. It's got lots of good stuff in it and gives me some "go power." I tweaked a recipe from Thrive Fitness.
Carob Strawberry Chia Energy Bars
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1/4 cup vanilla rice protein powder
- 1/4 cup white chia seeds
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup sprouted quinoa
- Liquid or powdered stevia to taste
- One day ahead of time, prepare the quinoa seeds. Soak in water for six hours. Drain and place in a seed sprouter. Once the seeds have formed tails from sprouting, place them in a food dehydrator and dry to the touch.
- Mix all the ingredients in a food processor.
- Spread the mixture (1/4 inch thick) on a sheet in your dehydrator. Dry for about one hour. Then flip and continue drying. Total drying time: about two hours.
- Cut into pieces of desired size. Freeze until ready to use.