Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Best "safe" chocolate pudding


Battling a recurrence of candida has more than tested my mettle. I long for an explanation of why I got so well only to come crashing back almost to where I started.

My health-care provider suggested that my parents and ancestors may be partially to blame. I am one-eighth native American which means I may have inherited a tendency towards diabetes and sensitivity to carbohydrates. Another factor could be that my father was a recovering alcoholic which again means inheriting a tendency towards carbohydrate issues.

All of this family-tree stuff suggests I will most likely be restricting carbs the rest of my life.
I keep telling myself that one day I will be able to eat my favorite delicious, but yet low-carb, chocolate pudding. It's the best chocolate pudding I've ever stirred up that is free of dairy, sugar, eggs, gluten and soy.

Best "safe chocolate pudding
Ingredients:
  1. 2 cups unsweetened hemp milk
  2. 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
  3. 1/4 cup Sweetleaf stevia powder
  4. 2 T. alcohol-free vanilla extract
  5. 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder

Directions:

  1. Heat hemp milk, arrowroot powder, stevia and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan.
  2. Whisk constantly as the mixture thickens.
  3. When thickened, remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
  4. Cool in the refrigerator or make "ice cream" with the pudding by placing the mixture in your ice cream freezer.
  5. Enjoy topped with cacao bits.

No comments: