Battling a recurrence of candida has more than tested my mettle. I long for an explanation of why I got so well only to come crashing back almost to where I started.
My health-care provider suggested that my parents and ancestors may be partially to blame. I am one-eighth native American which means I may have inherited a tendency towards diabetes and sensitivity to carbohydrates. Another factor could be that my father was a recovering alcoholic which again means inheriting a tendency towards carbohydrate issues.
All of this family-tree stuff suggests I will most likely be restricting carbs the rest of my life.
I keep telling myself that one day I will be able to eat my favorite delicious, but yet low-carb, chocolate pudding. It's the best chocolate pudding I've ever stirred up that is free of dairy, sugar, eggs, gluten and soy.
Best "safe chocolate pudding
- 2 cups unsweetened hemp milk
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup Sweetleaf stevia powder
- 2 T. alcohol-free vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- Heat hemp milk, arrowroot powder, stevia and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk constantly as the mixture thickens.
- When thickened, remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract.
- Cool in the refrigerator or make "ice cream" with the pudding by placing the mixture in your ice cream freezer.
- Enjoy topped with cacao bits.