Saturday, June 26, 2010

Strawberry-rhubarb sorbet

My orange kitchen pal, Pumpkin, has can-opener radar. Apparently, this heightened sense of hearing is common to all felines when it comes to tuna cans being opened.

Here he is demanding his share of the tuna in the can I've just opened. What you can't see in this picture is his partner in crime, my golden retriever, Kona. She's on the floor waiting for her share of the bounty. Kona gets the tuna-flavored water from the can, and Pumpkin licks the flakes of tuna left in the can. Open a can of anything and they both appear like clockwork waiting for what they hope is tuna. In this case, their vigilence paid off.



My vigilence in trying to find the cause of my recurring candida infections may be paying off too. Chronic candida infections are linked to low stomach acid which I have had for years. Put that together with multiple rounds of antibiotics given to me over the course of years and no wonder I have stomach problems.

My low stomach acid is probably the result of taking tons of antacids and other over-the-counter stomach remedies back when I didn't know what was wrong with my stomach. I got little help from doctors who also gave me acid inhibitors. This is quite common as the symptoms of low stomach acid are pretty much the same as those of too much stomach acid.

An estimated 80 percent of individuals with food allergies/sensitivities probably have low stomach acid. Low stomach acid becomes more prevalent as we age. The probability of having this digestive issue is 40 percent by age 40 and 50 percent by age 60. Individuals with low stomach acid are the target for many health problems because they are not absorbing the necessary vitamins and minerals.

I'm hoping I'm on the right track for curing my candida problems now that I've added HCL-pepsin supplements as well as the L-glutamine for repairing my digestive tract. Maybe some day I'll actually be able to eat a real dessert. Did somebody say dessert?

Strawberry-rhubarb sorbet is my latest effort to appease my sweet tooth. It was so good I decided to add a rhubarb plant to my garden. You also can make this sorbet with straight rhubard for a lower carb version and it still takes good!

Strawberry-rhubarb sorbet

Ingredients:
Makes 4 servings
  1. 5 stalks of rhubarb diced and steamed until tender
  2. 1 cup of frozen unsweetened strawberries
  3. 1/4 cup lemon juice
  4. liquid stevia to taste

Directions:

  1. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
  2. Place in the freezer until somewhat firm.
  3. Note: Omit the strawberries for a lower carb version.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Whether your prime concern is taste or variety, Vaporfi got you covered.

With vape juices that are extracted from food-grade ingredients, their vaping flavors are amazingly smooth and consistent.