Monday, July 5, 2010

Rhubarb-strawberry smoothie

My sprouter is my newest kitchen gardening gadget. It came with some sprouting seeds I've never tried. The ones in the middle tray are garbanzo bean and pea seeds. The bottom tray has lentil seeds sprouting. All of them turned out to be delicious but I pecially enjoyed the garbanzo bean sprouts. I've been tossing the sprouts on salads but am looking for other ways to enjoy them now that I have a fresh and bountiful supply.
Rhubarb is something else I am continuing to enjoy. I can't believe I went so many years without realizing how versatile and delicious it is. Now, I can't enjoy a smoothie with strawberries without blending in an equal amount of rhubarb. Here's my recipe for a Rhubarb-Strawberry Smoothie.

Ingredients:

  1. 1/2 cup unsweetened hemp milk
  2. 1/2 cup chia seed-hemp milk slurry (Mix chia seed in 1/2 cup hemp milk the day before and allow chia seed to expand and absorb the milk. Store in the fridge.)
  3. 1/2 cup slightly thawed frozen strawberries
  4. 1/2 cup cooked rhubard chilled (Steam two or three chopped stalks of rhubarb until tender in 3/4 cup water + 6 drops liquid stevia.)
  5. 2 T. rice protein powder
  6. 1/2 tsp. guar gum powder
  7. 1 tsp. flax oil (optional)
  8. 1 cup crushed ice
  9. Liquid stevia to taste

Directions:

  1. Put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.

No comments: