Sunday, December 7, 2008

Spicy mustard sauce for roasted veggies

This winter I feel like I've become like my cats, always seeking out the sun. In their case, they are looking for a warm spot to lounge in. For me, I'm after Vitamin D which has been linked to so many functions in our bodies. I've been taking Vitamin D supplements for almost a year now as well as getting as much outdoor sun as possible every day to see what affect it might have on my stomach problems. I also invested in a light box this fall which I try to use up to two hours a day. I have it on when I'm doing computer work or doing my daily yoga workouts.

The results have been amazing. The fall/winter months have always been my worse for bouts of stomach issues. I would say this year stomach problems have been consistent throughout all the seasons. I'm not saying I don't have any difficulty but on a bad to good scale of 1 to 10, I'm calling most days a 6-8 whereas last winter I labeled most days a 1, 2, or 3. I do have to really watch what I eat. For me, that means no cheating of any kind. I also exercise religiously because that has a positive effect as well. Right now, I'm giving the sunlight and Vitamin D a thumbs up.

Life's looking pretty sweet. As an added bonus, I found a recipe for a spicy-sweet mustard glaze that makes roasted veggies absolutely delicious. Here's the super, easy recipe.

Spicy Mustard Dressing
1/2 cup spicy mustard
3 T. olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 T. maple syrup

Mix all the ingredients together. Cut up veggies such as brussel sprouts, carrots, onions, cauliflower, zucchini or winter squash or potatoes. Toss with spicy mustard sauce and then roast in the oven until tender. Another version would be to roast the veggies first and then toss them in the dressing. Try it both ways and see which one you like best. This dressing will make you want to eat a whole plate of veggies.

No comments: