Sunday, February 1, 2009

Salmon with Grape Tomato Salsa

This has got to be the longest winter ever since I've lived in southern Idaho. I'm sure we've set an all-time record for winter inversion days in a row. Our previous record was 20 days in a row.

I'm not the only one suffering health wise. I keep hearing about people with sinus and ear infections that won't clear up and other assorted ailments related to our dirty, cold air. I've felt so bad this winter that I went to have my blood checked for Vitamin D and B, among other things. So far, I haven't gotten the results.

In the meantime, I gave up chocolate because it seemed to be causing me additional stomach issues. I haven't had any chocolate for about two weeks and it seems like an eternity. Everywhere I turn there are ads, recipes, pictures, etc., of chocolate, especially with Valentine's Day on the horizon. It's as bad as when I gave up coffee about 5 years ago. It was pure torture for quite awhile. Hopefully, I'll be able to have some chocolate in small, infrequent quantities in the future. At least, I'm consoling myself with that for right now.

I did try out a delicious recipe for salmon, topped with a grape-tomato-caper salsa.

Ingredients:

1 cup grape tomatoes, halved

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1/8 cup dried parsley

1 T. capers

1 T. white wine vinegar

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 1/2 T. olive oil, divided

1/4 tsp. salt, divided

1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper, divided

2-3 four-oz. salmon filets

Directions:

Preheat broiler. Combine the first six ingredients in a medium bowl, and stir in 1 1/2 tsp. oil, 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.

Brush salmon with remaining 1 T. oil; sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Place salmon on a sprayed grill pan. Broil salmon filets until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness is reached. Serve topped with grape-tomato-caper salsa.

No comments: