Sunday, January 17, 2010

Chocolate-sunbutter hemp milk ice cream


It's not easy making ice cream that tastes delicious when you have to leave out all the good stuff, like sugar, eggs, milk and cream. But it has been my challenge in recent weeks to come up with a creamy "ice cream" where the main ingredients are hemp milk and stevia sweetener.
I have an ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer that makes my experimenting fairly easy to do. I keep the ice cream maker bowl always ready to use in the freezer. I've tried making all kinds of flavors, including pumpkin, chocolate, carob, green tea, vanilla, strawberry and sunbutter.
The closest I've come to decadent is chocolate-sunbutter hemp milk ice cream, pictured above.
This ice cream was actually creamy in texture thanks to the addition of the sunbutter. It was easy to make too with my ice cream maker attachment.
Chocolate-Sunbutter Hemp Milk Ice Cream
(makes 4 servings)
Ingredients:
2 cups unsweetened hemp milk (Or other dairy beverage of choice)
2 T. unsweetened sunbutter
1/4 cup dark baking cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla powder
1-2 T. pure stevia powder
Directions:
Soften the sunbutter in the microwave in a medium-sized bowl. Add the cocoa powder and the hemp milk. Continue heating in the microwave, occasionally stirring to blend in the cocoa powder. Remove and stir in the vanilla powder and stevia.
Place the ice cream mixture in the refrigerator to chill. Follow your ice cream-maker instructions to freeze the mixture. This ice cream is ready to eat right out of the ice cream freezer. You don't have to worry about continuing to firm it up in your refrigerator freezer. Resist the impulse to eat it all yourself.

2 comments:

Merryheart said...

Sounds good! Where do you get hemp milk? I haven't seen it.

Do you use gluten-free cosmetics? Another friend has celiac sprue and she was told she needs to use them.

Blessings! Merry

Sheree Welshimer said...

You can make this "ice cream" with any dairy beverage. Hemp milk is a little harder to find than soy, almond milk, rice milk, etc. I buy mine at our local co-op. I've also found it at a nearby health food store.

I try to use cosmetics that haven't been tested on animals and are free of paraben, artificial colors or perfumes. I don't necessarily look for a gluten-free label on cosmetics but I do when it comes to foods I eat.