Sunday, April 18, 2010

Garbanzo bean brownies (dairy and egg free)

Here's my little pal, Pumpkin, asking for his dinner. He raises his paw for food! I'd raise my hand too but it would have to be for chocolate, my weakness.
As you can tell, I'm always trying a chocolate recipe. The trick is making it free of dairy, flour, egg and sugar. And if I can make it low-fat, that's good too.
I've always wondered if I could make brownies with whole garbanzo beans that filled all my requirements so I decided to give it a try. They were tasty but kind of flat compared to regular brownies. I call them my flat, not fat, brownies.
Garbanzo bean brownies
Ingredients:
2 cups canned garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
Egg replacer for 4 eggs (follow directions on box but mix with hemp milk instead of water)
1/4 cup dark baking cocoa powder
3 T. olive oil or canola oil
1/8 cup powdered stevia
10 drops vanilla-flavored liquid stevia
3/4 tsp. baking powder (gluten-free)
Optional: 2 T. cacao nibs for sprinkling on top
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place all ingredients (except for cacao nibs) in a food processor and blend to a dough-like consistency. Add additional hemp milk if needed. Pour batter into a 8-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle with cacao nibs. Place in oven and bake for about 20-30 minutes. Check frequently for doneness. Makes eight servings.















No comments: