Sunday, July 18, 2010

Nori rolls with sunflower seed spread

I've never eaten Nori rolls until recently. I didn't realize I was missing a great low-carb option as long as I omitted the sushi rice. I was amazed to discover the nutritional powerhouse that a simple Nori rolls is. Nori rolls are a source of Vitamins A, B and C, as well as iodine, protein, carotene and dietary fiber.

I still need a lot of practice filling and rolling a Nori roll but it might help if I invested in a sushi mat. Even though they don't look perfect, they still are quite tasty. Use your imagination for fillings. Here's the one I tried.

Veggie Nori Rolls with Sunflower Seed Spread

Ingredients for Spread:
  1. 1 cup sunflower seeds (You also can sprout them ahead of time but I skipped this.)
  2. 1/4 cup lemon juice
  3. 2 cloves of garlic
  4. 2 T. tahini
  5. 1 T. Bragg's Amino Acids
  6. 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
  7. 1/8 chopped red onion
  8. 1 small piece of ginger
  9. 1 tsp. flax oil
  10. 1/2 tsp. cumin
  11. dash of Chipotle powder

In a food processor or blender, combine all the ingredients. Blend to a fairly smooth, paste-like consistency.

Directions for Veggie Nori Rolls

  1. Lightly toast a Nori sheet in a large skillet.
  2. Lay one toasted Nori sheet on a flat surface or bamboo sushi mat, shiny side down.
  3. Cover with a thin layer of sunflower seed spread.
  4. On top of sunflower seed spread, lay out thinly sliced veggies, such as red pepper, Napa cabbage, red cabbage, avocado, daikon radish and sprouts.
  5. Roll up the rolls and cut each into two or three sections.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

The spread looks fantastic. I love using soaked sunflower seeds in all it's forms, from making raw cheese to sunflower seed butter.

I have used cauliflower "rice" for my nori rolls, and it turns out fantastic! Definitely more nutritious, low on the glycemic index and highly anti-inflammatory.

Sheree Welshimer said...

Thanks for the idea, Brandon. Cauliflower is quite a versatile vegetable.