Sunday, December 19, 2010

Low-carb cranberry salsa



I finally got a photo of my cat pal, Pumpkin, napping with his face down on his paw. It just makes me want to go love him to pieces but he'd never go for that. After all, he is a cat.

I've been trying to expand my fruit repertoire on my low-glycemic, ACD diet. I looked up the nutrition facts for cranberries and discovered if eaten without sugar, they are pretty low carb (6g of carbs with 2g of sugars and 2g of fiber in a 1/2 cup serving). Of course, cranberries without some sort of sweetener are pretty hard to swallow. But they taste delicious when added to a salsa blend or sweetened with stevia. Here's my recipe for Cranberry Salsa. It's tasty on grilled chicken or fish or as a topping on salad. It stores well in the fridge for several days.

Ingredients:
  1. 1 package fresh cranberries
  2. 1 pasilla pepper seeded and chopped roughly
  3. 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped roughly
  4. 1 cup chopped cilantro
  5. salt and pepper to taste
  6. Optional: onion, hotter peppers
Directions:
  1. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until ingredients are finely chopped.


2 comments:

Eat To Live said...

Ahhhhh.... look how sweet the kitty is. So Cute!!

I just love looking at the cats.... the food is great also... but I have a soft spot for kitties.

Sheree Welshimer said...

I'm with you. I love cats as you can probably tell.