|Kale apple salad|
Best yet, kale loves cool fall weather which makes the vegetable sweeter and more flavorful. I love kale which is a good thing since I have a plentiful crop in my garden. Three years ago, I planted some kale and ever since then my crop has spread to cover two-thirds of a 16-by-20-foot garden area. You probably guessed kale has some great self-propagating qualities.
Here's a simple-to-make recipe using kale and other fall crops.
Kale Apple Salad (4 servings)
- One bunch kale, washed and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 gala or other sweet red apple, cored and diced
- Optional: 2 diced green onions
- Lime sunbutter dressing: in a food processor, combine 1/4 cup sunbutter, 2 T. sunflower seeds, 1/4 cup lime juice, stevia, 1 tsp. sesame oil, 1 T. Bragg's amino acids, water to thin if needed.
- Optional: toasted sunflower seeds for sprinkling on top
- Combine kale, carrot, apple in a large salad bowl. Toss ingredients and drizzle 3 T or more of the lime sunbutter dressing. Reserve the rest for later.
- Give the salad another toss to mix the dressing.
- Sprinkle on the sunflower seeds if desired.
Shared with http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2011/10/13/wellness-weekend-october-13-17-2011/