Friday, February 3, 2012

Butternut squash and pear two ways

Attentive kitchen helpers

Can you believe the attentiveness of my two helpers in the kitchen? I used to teach elementary school and had to pull out all my bag of tricks to get this kind of attentiveness. Now, I head to the kitchen and my canine assistants will jump through hoops just for a piece of kale.
Misha and Nika do a tandem dance of joy.
Yes, they love veggies but only kale will make them dance for joy. These dogs do love to dance. I'm wondering if I should take up ballroom dancing with my canines. Yes, there really is such a thing. You and your doggie partner get dressed to the nines and go out for a night of dancing on the town.


Here are my two helpers after they've lost hope of any food being dropped. Can you say canine kitchen obstacle course?

I was on a chocolate and raspberry kick for at least two weeks but finally have gotten my fill. My newest food passion is a combo of butternut squash, pear and sunbutter. This yummy combination, rich in nutrition, can be used in smoothies, soups, collard wraps and even ice cream.

Butternut Squash-Pear Smoothie

I love following my morning workout with one of these babies for breakfast: Butternut Squash-Pear Smoothie topped with toasted pumpkin seeds and a dab of sunbutter.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butternut squash, cooked
  • 1/2 pear, diced, skin on
  • 1/2-3/4 cup hemp milk
  • 1 T. rice protein powder
  • 1 T. chia seeds
  • 1 T. sunbutter
  • 1/2 cup ice
  • Optional toppings: more sunbutter, toasted pumpkin seeds, cinnamon and nutmeg
Directions:
  • Put all ingredients except for toppings in a high-powered blender and pulse until smooth and creamy.
  • Pour into a glass or mug and top with a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds, dollop of sunbutter and spices.



Fastforward to mid-afternoon and I'm looking for the ingredients to make a Butternut Squash-Pear-Sunbutter collard wrap.

Ingredients:
  • One large collard leaf
  • 2-3 slices of pear
  • 1-2 tsp. sunbutter
  • 2-3 pieces of diced, roasted butternut squash
  • Optional: 1 T. toasted pumpkin seeds
Directions:
  • Prepare the collard leaf by removing the stem up to where it thins out.
  • Smear sunbutter on the leaf
  • Put the pear, butternut squash on one end.
  • Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds as an option.
  • Roll up your collard wrap and enjoy!
I'm contributing these recipes to:
http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2012/02/02/wellness-weekend-february-2-6-2012/





No comments: