Sunday, July 15, 2012

Make me a sandwich NOW on quinoa flatbread

Bailey says, "Feed me now."
Sometimes a craving for a particular food just won't pass. Bailey knows what I'm talking about. He loves the kibbles I sometimes add to his regular cat food. He'll just sit beside his bowl of regular food and give me the "look" as shown in the photo above. The "look" means, "You've got to be kidding. You expect me to eat this. Where's the good stuff?"

Well, anyhow, I know where Bailey is coming from on this one. Sometimes, I look at my salad and think, "Why can't I have a sandwich like Ritalin Boy (hubby) always does for lunch?" After reading Ricki's recipe for the Toronto Sandwich (http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/?s=Toronto+Sandwich&submit.x=14&submit.y=12), now I know I can have a tasty sandwich. Thank you , Ricki! I love salads but sometimes you've just got to have a sandwich with your salad.

Nika A.K.A. Happy the malamute

I mean the whole idea of being able to eat an easy-to-make sandwich makes me as bright-eyed and happy as Nika (my malamute) gets at the mention of food or just about anything else. Her nickname is "Happy."

Make me a sandwich NOW on quinoa flatbread

Now, the best part of all of this is I have another sandwich in my repertoire. This one also is easy to make and delicious. It's called the Make me a sandwich NOW on quinoa flatbread. This sandwich was inspired by two muses--the blog, GlutenFreeHappyTummy, and this cookbook,  Sass Yourself Slim by Cynthia Sass.

GlutenFreeHappyTummy gave me the inspiration for a recipe for quinoa flatbread at http://glutenfreehappytummy.com/2012/06/07/broccoli-pesto-sammie-stackers-gf-bed/
Sass Yourself Slim includes a recipe for edaname, avocado, strawberry tacos that I modified for my sandwich. With all that fanfare, here is the recipe for my Make me a sandwich NOW on quinoa flatbread.

Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup of cooked quinoa, cooled
  2. 1 chia egg (mix ahead 1 T. chia with 2 T. water and keep in fridge until ready to make your flatbread)
  3. 1/2 cup frozen edaname, thawed
  4. 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
  5. 1/4 avocado, sliced
(See, even the ingredients are simple.)

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with pan spray.
  2. Put quinoa in a food processor and blend until the quinoa becomes mushy and sticky.
  3. Add in the chia egg and continue blending until the mixture sticks together.
  4. Place the quinoa-chia mixture on the baking sheet. Spread out the dough with moistened hands or place a sheet of sprayed wax paper on top. Press down until the dough is about 1/4-inch thick. (Note: This recipe yields enough for two flatbreads.)
  5. Bake the flatbread for 30+ minutes until crispy but still pliable.
  6. Cool slightly before cutting into two pieces.
  7. Note: This flatbread can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or freezer.
  8. While the flatbread is baking, cut up strawberries and avocado, and thaw out edaname.
  9. Add the sandwich fixins to your flatbread and voila, you have your sandwich.
The sandwich

Doesn't it look delicious? It is. Many thanks to GlutenFreeHappyTummy and Cynthia Sass for the ideas, and Ricki Heller for the Toronto Sandwich recipe. By the way, the Toronto Sandwich is easily adaptable to the quinoa flatbread.

The nap, Misha style
You'll feel as happy and contented as Misha (My husky) after enjoying one of these sandwiches.

Recipe contributed to:http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2012/07/12/wellness-weekend-july-12-16-2012/

No comments: