Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tasty Greek flatbread sandwich/salad

Greek flatbread sandwich/salad
My sandwich tastes have evolved through the years. As a kid, my favorite place to stop was A&W Rootbeer for hamburgers. I had to have the "Baby Burger" which apparently they still have on their menu. On one outing to get burgers, my brother and I found something unbelievably funny about our baby burgers. Maybe it was their petite size but we laughed so hard we cried. My mother who was attempting to drive had to give us the "if you two don't settle down, I'll stop this car" lecture.

Later, I developed a taste for French dip sandwiches. The place to go was Philippes, Home of the Original French Dip Sandwiches, on Alameda Street in Los Angeles. I had to look at their website http://www.philippes.com/about-us/just for nostagia sake and couldn't believe the sandwiches are $6.50 in this day and age. Unfortunately for me, it looks like the only thing on their menu I could eat now would be the garden salad.

Then, there was my passion for Gyros, Greek-style pita sandwiches. I think it took me awhile before I realized the meat on my Gyros was lamb. We used to pick up one of these at the food court in the local mall every time we went shopping.

It's amazing how all these sandwiches had meat as their centerpiece. Most weren't even all that healthy but boy, they did taste good back then.


It took me awhile but now I am creating healthier versions of some of my favorite sandwiches. And, of course, they are vegan. My new favorite sandwich is a gluten-free Greek flatbread sandwich that also can be considered a salad. It has a garbanzo bean flatbread, grilled tofu and tahini/cucumber sauce (my version of Tzatziki sauce).

"I'm coming out from under the bed for one of your sandwiches, Mom."


Greek flatbread sandwich salad
 (suitable for ACD-phase 2)

Ingredients for 2 sandwiches:

  1. 1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
  2. 3/4 cup water
  3. 1/4 cup olive oil
  4. 1/2 cucumber, peeled and seeded
  5. 2 T. tahini
  6. juice of 2 lemons
  7. 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
  8. 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  9. 1/2 pkg. extra firm tofu
  10. 2 T. fresh mint leaves, chopped
  11. 1 tsp. ground coriander
  12. 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  13. Sandwich fixins: chopped tomato, mixed greens, peppercinos, olives, chopped red onion
Directions:
  1. Make the flatbread by mixing garbanzo bean flour with water in a bowl. The batter should be about the consistency of pancake batter. Adjust the amount of water to get the proper consistency.
  2. Heat a heavy cast iron skillet on medium heat. Drizzle with olive oil. When skillet is hot, pour in about 1/2 cup of batter. Cook about 1-2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining batter. Put each flatbread on a separate plate and set aside.
  3. In a large ziploc bag, combine the olive oil, half of the lemon juice, parsley, oregano, and salt and pepper.
  4. Drop the tofu, cut into 1-2-inch pieces into the bag. Let marinate for 10 minutes while you preheat the broiler.
  5. Place the tofu pieces on a broiler pan and broil until slightly charred, 10-12 minutes.
  6. Use your food processor to make the tahini-cucumber sauce. Puree the cucumber mixed with tahini, remaining lemon juice, mint, coriander, cumin, salt/pepper, and water to thin.
  7. Prepare your salad fixins.
  8. Pile the greens and tofu on top the garbanzo bean flatbreads. Top with your other fixins and finish with a drizzle of tahini-cucumber sauce.
"I thought you were coming out for one of Mom's sandwiches."


"You'd better hurry before they are all gone."


That's right, Misha, you'd better hurry because it's not going to take long for one of these Greek flatbread sandwiches to disappear into my stomach.


Check out other healthy-eating ideas at http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2012/08/23/wellness-weekend-august-23-27-2012/

No comments: