Sunday, September 9, 2012

Coconut blackberry crisp

Dog bones with your fuel in Bend, Ore.
Would you like some dog bones with your fuel? I traveled to one of the most dog-friendly cities (Bend, Ore.) in the U.S. recently but without my snow hounds, Misha and Nika. They missed out on getting dog bones at the gas station and on all the other dog-friendly experiences Bend has to offer. Unfortunately, the car was too packed for pups as we were traveling to Bend for my Ritalin Boy hubby to participate in a road bike race.

My new cat pal
When you're used to being around pets 24-7, you have to get your fur fix even when away from your fur kids. I adopted a little tiger kitty that kept visiting the condo where we were staying with a group of other folks.

Another furry pal in the midst of a stone sculpture garden
I also kept visiting a manx kitty up the street from where we were staying.
Crazy metal cat sculpture
In fact, everywhere I looked I was reminded of my fur kids.  It was like the first time my husband and I left our human kids with the grandparents for the weekend. It was hard to not worry about them.


Yes, this was the view of the Deschutes River from our condo. Yes, I still kept thinking of the fur kids. Of course, I had a good time but next time, I plan to take the fur kids along.

Coconut blackberry crisp
 
 The blackberries were waiting to be picked and eaten when we returned. I made everyone happy with a coconut blackberry crisp, and then there were blackberry jam pancakes (recipe in next post). Yum! I was in blackberry heaven.

Blackberry jam pancakes
Coconut Blackberry Crisp
(suitable for ACD-maintenance)
Ingredients:
  • 8 cups blackberries
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar plus stevia to taste for berries and another 1/2 cup for topping
  • 2 T. chia seed for mixing with berries and another 1 T. for topping
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1/4 cup amaranth flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional but delicious)
  • 2 T. coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds or other seeds or nuts of choice
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Directions:
  • In a large bowl, toss blackberries with 1/4 cup coconut sugar and stevia to taste, 2 T. chia seed, juice of one lemon
  • Place the berry mixture in a 10X10-inch baking pan, sprayed or greased with a dab of coconut oil
  • In a medium bowl, mix the quinoa flakes, amaranth flour, 1/4 cup coconut flakes, 1 T. chia, 2 T. melted coconut oil, 1/2 cup chopped almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg.
  • Spread this topping mixture on top of the berries in the pan.
  • Bake in the oven, preheated at 375 degrees, for 30-35 minutes.
  • Serve warm or cold with vegan ice cream, yogurt or just plain. It's delish!
Contributed to: http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2012/09/06/wellness-weekend-september-6-10-2012/

4 comments:

Kristi said...

This looks fantastic, and nourishing. Would you be open to posting it to my food blog carnival, superfood sundays? The website is designed to help mothers prepare for pregnancy and breastfeeding.

http://www.painfreepregnancy.org/2012/09/superfood-sundays-september-9th-2012.html

Thanks!!

Sheree Welshimer said...

Thanks for inviting me. I added my link.

Joel said...

Hi, Nice post thanks for sharing. Would you please consider adding a link to my website on your page. Please email me back.

Thanks!

Joel
JHouston791@gmail.com

Blogger said...

3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

This means that you literally get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fat (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!