Saturday, May 2, 2009

Soy breakfast casserole

I'm still working on ridding my body of candida. It's insidious stuff. At least, I'm no longer taking the prescription anti-fungal medication. That made me nervous. It seemed like pretty potent stuff. Now, I take an herbal remedy to keep the candida and good bacteria in proper harmony. Probiotics continue to be my friend at every meal.

My stomach has made tremendous strides. Although I must admit, the improvement made me venture into eating a few things I should at the very least limit to every now and then. I'm talking about sunbutter. It's so yummy but my new rule is just 1-2 teaspoons every three or four days otherwise I pay for it.

My sinusitis is still clearing up. It's hard for me to believe that so much yellow gunk was squashed inside my sinus cavities.

Eating low carb continues to be challenging for someone like myself who loves carbs and needs them for physical activity. I started teaching yoga to a group of teachers along with my cycling. I did create a recipe using soy flour that tastes like a quiche to me but has no eggs or gluten. I call it Soy Breakfast Casserole (pictured above). It would make a great breakfast treat for a mom on Mother's Day who cannot eat eggs or gluten.

Ingredients:
2 cups soy flour
2 T. olive oil + 1 more
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. coarse black pepper
1 T. dried herbs of choice (I used basil.)
1 1/4- 1 1/2 cups water
2 cups sauted veggies of your choice (I used chard, zucchini, broccoli, asparagus and spinach. Others that would be good include red peppers, onion and garlic.)
Optional for non-vegan: shrimp, flaked salmon or bits of grilled chicken

Directions:
Heat oven to 480 degrees. To a large bowl, add soy flour, salt and pepper, 2 T. olive oil and water. Mix ingredients with a whisk or large spoon. Add a small amount of additional water if needed to create a dough with the consistency of gravy. Allow mixture to rest for about 5-10 minutes. In the meantime, saute the veggies in olive oil.

Spray a 9 by 13-inch glass pan with pan spray. Pour 1 T. olive oil in pan and place in oven to preheat for 5 minutes. Remove the pan from oven. Spread the veggies and optional fish or meat evenly in the bottom in the pan. Pour the soy flour mixture over the top and spread evenly to distribute. Sprinkle with additional herbs if desired. Another option is to sprinkle with some vegan cheese.

Place in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes. Check often. Test with a toothpick to make sure it's set before removing from the oven. Allow to cool slightly and cut into squares for serving. You'll be surprised how much it reminds you of quiche.

No comments: