Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sleepytime vanilla tea smoothie (ACD friendly)

Staying with a low-carb, low-glycemic diet for life is an ongong battle I face as someone who is extremely sensitive to carbohydrates and prone to candida reoccurrence. I'm constantly monitoring how many carbs I eat and what kind of carbs. There's a fine line for me between too much and too little. Too many carbs and my symptoms return; too little carbs and my brain and body don't function properly.
I also long for an occasional treat. My newest reward is Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Vanilla Tea. It's a new offering in the tea aisle. I love this herbal tea hot, iced and made into a tea-protein smoothie.
I like to combine a Sleepytime Vanilla Tea smoothie with my breakfast which is the most important meal of the day for me. I need to replenish my glycogen. If I skimp on breakfast, I won't have the energy I need for the day so I add a bowl of hot quinoa to my morning meal.
I take 2/3 cup cooked, whole-grain quinoa and mix it with 1/2 cup unsweetened hemp milk, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon and some stevia for sweetener. I microwave this mixture for about 1 1/2 minutes. I top my cereal off with 1 T. of toasted pumpkin seeds. Pairing this cereal with a tea smoothie is the perfect mixture of carbs, protein and deliciousness.
Sleepytime Vanilla Tea Smoothie
Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup extra-strength, brewed Sleepytime Vanilla Tea
  2. 1-2 scoops vanilla rice protein
  3. 1 tsp. guar gum powder
  4. alcohol-free stevia to taste
  5. 1 T. alcohol-free vanilla extract optional
  6. 2 cups crushed ice
  7. smidge of hemp milk for additional creaminess (optional)

Directions:

  1. Brew Sleepytime Vanilla Tea. Use 2-3 bags per one cup of hot water.
  2. Chill the tea in the fridge.
  3. Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend on high until the mixture reaches a soft-serve ice cream-like texture.

Note: Makes a generous amount. You can store extra in the freezer for a treat later but it will need to be thawed out slightly before eating.

6 comments:

J.Bradley said...

Hi there. I too have to watch my carbs (hypoglycemia). What are some of the things you eat?

J.Bradley said...

Okay, so please disregard my question. I was on a hunt specifically for this tea and totally ignored the fact that your blog has a BUNCH of cool recipes. :-)

Sheree Welshimer said...

Thank you for taking a look. I hope my stuff is helpful. Let me know if you find any recipes elsewhere that would benefit me and others with the carb sensitivity.

I don't know about you but I've been eating this way long enough now that I don't crave carbs at all. How are you doing on that?

dolphin6 said...

I love your blog. I think it is one of the best out there for ACD recipes. However, for the smoothie, doesn't the vanilla protein powder have sugar in it? I currently can have no sugar whatsoever. Thanx again, keep posting

Julie said...

Hi, I think I just discored the reason why I have so much acnee all of a sudden, that I can't lose weight and that I crave peanut butter, honey and chocolate... and oatmeal so bad! And I am totally addicted to coffee. This is my day one of the anti-candida diet starting from now... You'll be a precious help with all these recipe... Glad i found you! Julie

Neato Nutrition said...

Boba Tea Protein combines the fun and flavor of traditional Boba tea with the benefits of added protein. Satisfy your cravings while nourishing your body.