Thursday, August 29, 2013

Veggie medley chips: backpacking and everyday snacking




"You don't have to worry about cooking, Mom. Those doggie treats look 5-star to us."

What do you do when your stove meets an untimely end and you're without a range for 15 days? You could go out to eat every day but not if you have dietary restrictions like mine.
 
You just have to get creative. Suddenly, your barbecue and all those appliances you've kept tucked away in the cupboards become essential. So, that's how I've been cooking for what has seemed like eternity.
 
Not a lot of great entrees have emerged from my kitchen these past two weeks. But my dehydrator helped me turn a lot of veggies from the garden (Tuscan kale, zucchini, onions, radicchio, carrots) into tasty Veggie Medley Chips.
 
These chips make healthy everyday snacks plus great hiking/backpacking food. Grind some up and you have a convenient veggie broth powder without all the unpleasant ingredients found in instant, store-bought bouillon.
 
 
 

Here's what you need for Veggie Medley Chips:

1 bunch of Tuscan kale
1/4 head of radicchio (or substitute red cabbage)
1/2 red onion
2 large carrots
4 zucchini (use green and yellow for a more colorful chip medley)
2 T. organic tahini
1/2 tsp. garlic granules
salt and pepper
juice of 1 lemon

Veggie medley chips ready for dehydrating

 Here's what you do:

Wash all your veggies. Remove Tuscan kale leaves from stems and discard the stems. Cut the red onion into thin slices and chop the radicchio. Use a potato peeler to make carrot and zucchini ribbons. Place all the prepared veggies in a large bowl.

Make a tahini dressing by mixing tahini, lemon juice, garlic granules, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
Add other spices, herbs or even vegan parmesan cheese, if desired. Pour the dressing on the veggies and toss to distribute evenly.

Spread veggies on parchment paper-lined racks in your food processor. Use your veggie setting and start dehydrating. Start checking the veggies after 4-5 hours. The kale will get done first.

These chips are addictive but remember they are dehydrated which means you need to drink lots of water.

Party, party!
Break out the party stuff. My new stove arrived today.

Recipe contributed to: http://www.rickiheller.com/2013/08/wellness-weekend-august-29-september-2-2013/#more-20516

3 comments:

Gail said...

These chips look so tasty and colorful, and the broth idea is superb.
I have been without a stove twice extended and used hot plate. Perhaps that is why I still do mostly stove-top dishes. Alas, I am still without a dehydrator! Must remedy that soon.
We have 4 dogs and a number of cats. Most are in the kitchen with me now.

Sheree Welshimer said...

What happened to your stoves? The electric circuitry on mine fried. Yes, I know what you are talking about. I am wanting to only cook stove-top dishes too. But eventually, I will try out my new oven.

Fur kids definitely seem to gravitate toward the kitchen. I guess they love you and they don't mind the food smells either.

Sheree Welshimer said...

You must be very adept at keeping track of your pooches and cats as you navigate around the kitchen. I have blankets for mine to lay down on. That way I know where they are all the time. Otherwise, I might trip over them.