Sunday, January 6, 2008

Four days of Rotation Diet menus: Day 1

I've learned a lot in just the short time I've being using a Rotation Diet to plan my menus. It definitely takes planning and organization and no mindless eating. You need to sit down every week with your list of allowed foods for the four-day plan and list out what you're going to eat each day. Be sure to include snacks and beverages. Search for recipes if needed. Make sure you keep your furry friend under control when using the printer to print recipes. As you can see Pumpkin was ready to do battle with my printer. Check what ingredients you have on hand and make your shopping list. Always keep in mind you're going to all this trouble to make yourself feel better. Don't give up easily because it may take several weeks before you see the benefit.





Here's my menu plan for Day 1 of a four-day cycle. I will keep posting menus daily. I am using rice milk at every meal as I have not found any acceptable replacement milks at this point. I can drink some soy but it affects the effectiveness of the thyroid hormones that I take.





Day 1:


Breakfast: Hot quinoa with blueberries and pine nuts
1/3 cup Ancient Grains quinoa flakes cooked
1/2 cup blueberries
2 T. pine nuts
1/2 cup rice milk

Lunch: Tortilla wrap with veggies and chicken
gluten-free quninoa/potato flour tortilla (I used the same recipe from my previous post but changed the flours to half quinoa and half potato flour.) These were scrumptious but a bit crumbly.
2 T. pine nuts
2 cups sauteed chard
1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms
1/2 cup sauteed zucchini
1 tsp. safflower oil
2 oz. grilled chicken cut into pieces
1/4 cup roasted beets tossed with balsalmic vinegar on the side. Below you see Oreo eyeing my plate of beets. To make the beets, clean and trim whole beets. Wrap each beet in aluminum foil and bake at 425 degrees for up to one hour depending on the size the beets. You may need to test with a fork kind of like testing a baked potato for doneness. After the beets cool, peel and slice. Toss with 1-2 T. of balsalmic vinegar and a bit of salt. Tip: if you can handle the beets when they are still a little warm, they will really soak up the flavor of the vinegar.





Dinner: Lemony stuffed sole with yellow squash and roasted red potatoes
4-5 oz. sole fillet
1 cup sauteed yellow squash
1/2 cup oven-roasted red potatoes
1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms
1 cup sauteed chard
1 T. toasted pumpkin seeds
Note: I wasn't supposed to have lemon or pumpkin seeds on this day but I won't have them again for four days. This diet isn't perfect so what the heck.

Next up: The recipe for the lemony stuffed sole and Day 2.

No comments: