Sunday, November 8, 2009

Miso-veggie-tofu stew

My dog, Kona, is covering her ears in the picture above because she doesn't want to hear my excuses for why I have been eating fermented tempeh and miso paste while on an anti-candida diet (ACD). One of the first rules of the diet is: avoid fermented foods which contain mold and add to your candida overgrowth.

I guess I should explain that I only recently indulged in these foods on a limited basis (once a month) but only after I was retested for candida and found it was no longer a problem. My health care practitioner told me I need to continue to follow a low-glycemic diet but not necessarily avoid all fermented foods. I continue to avoid fermented foods, such as vinegar and wines, because I don't want the candida overgrowth to come back.

I would only recommend tempeh or miso if your health care practioner okays it which mine did. That lead me to indulge in Miso-Veggie-Tofu Stew. I also used just one tablespoon of brown rice miso for four servings of soup. It's very tasty but I only would recommend it if you don't have a candida problem or if you've been cleared by your doctor.


Miso-Veggie-Tofu Stew
(makes 4 servings)
Ingredients:
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 T. brown rice miso paste (up to 3 T. can be added but remember it is fermented)
1 quart vegetable broth (makes sure it contains no sugar)
1/2 pkg. extra firm tofu (diced)
1 zucchini (diced)
1/2 small red cabbage (chopped)
1 T. chopped green onions for garnish (optional)

Directions:
Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet. Add the veggies and cook until tender crisp. Add the miso and mix well. Add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and add the diced tofu and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes. Serve in bowls garnished with green onions, if desired. To make this a meal, add more veggies of your choice to the stew and up the protein content by adding protein powder of your choice.

2 comments:

Merryheart said...

Kona is so cute! I love your pets--we have three dogs and a cat. Three of them rescues. My cat was a feral cat who had kittens on our back porch. My daughter posted a story on her blog http://eagleheights.wordpress.com/category/pets-cuteness/

The Miso-tofu stew is enticing. And I love the way you present everything so beautifully--like professional cookbook photos.

Sheree Welshimer said...

Thank you for your compliment. I think I've gone overboard lately with tofu recipes. I love the stuff and now can eat it because of getting rid of the candida which was making me sensitive to all kinds of foods. Still, I've decided to rein myself in a bit because of my thyroid problems. I've been told that soy can interfere with thyroid medication, and I don't want to take the chance.