Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sunbutter biscuits

It's been nearly a year since I started the candida diet, and I confess I still have the same struggle every day. I want something sweet. But what do you eat when you can't have sugar and should avoid chocolate? You turn to healthy fat, right? You know nuts, seeds and coconut.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work for me. You see I have no gallbladder which makes eating more than a little fat an unpleasant experience. This dilemma has lead me to endless searching for something to eat that will satisfy my sweet tooth but won't violate my two rules of no sugar and little fat. The result is sometimes I violate the fat rule which causes me days of stomach distress. You would think I would learn but I guess my drive for something sweet trumps my good judgment. PLEASE send me any recipe ideas you have to help me stave off my sweet/fat cravings.

Occasionally, I make something like Sunbutter Biscuits that satisfies my sweet/fat craving but doesn't upset my stomach. It's a versatile recipe too. You can eat them as biscuits or turn them into a berry shortcake as pictured above.

Sunbutter Biscuits
(makes 8-10)

Ingredients:
1 T. lemon juice mixed with 1 cup hemp milk or other unsweetened dairy beverage
3 T. ground flax
10 drop vanilla-flavored stevia
3 T. sunbutter (unsweetened)
2 T. olive oil
3/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with pan spray.

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour the wet mixture over the dry ingredients and stir to blend. The dough will be soft. Scoop out portions of the dough with a large spoon or use your hands. To prevent sticking, wet the spoon or hands with cold water. Place the biscuits about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.

Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes. Extra biscuits may be frozen.

No comments: