|Bailey, my new sidekick, in watering can
|Bailey, Kona and new pal, Misha.
|Quinoa flour tortillas
Their favorite place to nap seems to be the doorway to the kitchen. This has always been Kona's favorite spot but now I have quite an obstacle to get across when the threesome are napping.
I still manage to get past the pile of dogs and kitten to get to the kitchen. Recently while the trio were napping, I experimented making quinoa flour tortillas. I enjoy eating these, smeared with a little tahini or sunbutter for breakfast. They also are great for fish tacos.
These are super simple to make if you have a tortilla press and cast-iron tortilla pan. You can make them without but they may look like blobs from some other universe.
Quinoa Flour Tortillas
(makes 10-12 small tortillas)
- 1 cup quinoa flour plus more for shaping dough balls and pressing tortillas.
- 1/2 cup ground whole quinoa
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Grind 1/2 cup whole quinoa in a coffee grinder.
- Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Add olive oil and water and mix.
- Now the fun begins. Add more quinoa flour and knead until the dough is dry to shape into balls.
- Press dough into tortillas using the tortilla press or rolling pin on flour dusted cutting board.
- Cook tortillas one at a time in cast-iron tortilla pan. Cook about 30 seconds each side.
- Extra tortillas can be stored in the freeze for future use.