Sunday, June 19, 2011

Quinoa tortillas

Bailey, my new sidekick, in watering can




Bailey, Kona and new pal, Misha.



Quinoa flour tortillas
I've added yet another new pet to my household, Misha, a two-month-old Husky-Malamute cross. He and Bailey, just three months, are great interactive toys for each other. They wrestle for what seems like hours and then cuddle up with their older, wiser pal, Kona.

Their favorite place to nap seems to be the doorway to the kitchen. This has always been Kona's favorite spot but now I have quite an obstacle to get across when the threesome are napping.

I still manage to get past the pile of dogs and kitten to get to the kitchen. Recently while the trio were napping, I experimented making quinoa flour tortillas. I enjoy eating these, smeared with a little tahini or sunbutter for breakfast. They also are great for fish  tacos.

These are super simple to make if you have a tortilla press and cast-iron tortilla pan. You can make them without but they may look like blobs from some other universe.

Quinoa Flour Tortillas
(makes 10-12 small tortillas)

Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup quinoa flour plus more for shaping dough balls and pressing tortillas.
  2. 1/2 cup ground whole quinoa
  3. 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  4. 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  5. 2 T. olive oil
  6. 1/2 cup water
Directions:
  1. Grind 1/2 cup whole quinoa in a coffee grinder.
  2. Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix to combine.
  3. Add olive oil and water and mix.
  4. Now the fun begins. Add more quinoa flour and knead until the dough is dry to shape into balls.
  5. Press dough into tortillas using the tortilla press or rolling pin on flour dusted cutting board.
  6. Cook tortillas one at a time in cast-iron tortilla pan. Cook about 30 seconds each side.
  7. Extra tortillas can be stored in the freeze for future use.

4 comments:

Elizabeth, blogging for SunButter said...

Hi, again, Sheree,
I so enjoy following all your posts and of course just must comment on this new use for SunButter! And because quinoa is my current obsession and I'm so grateful to have this recipe to try. Thanks much. Take good care.

Sheree Welshimer said...

Quinoa and sunbutter are the best. They make a delicious combination

Annie Eskeldson said...

Thank you so much Sheree!! This is the only place I can come to find a quinoa only recipe without 5 other flours we're allergic to and yeast. Thank you for getting it! Sharing as always, Annie E.

Annie Eskeldson said...

PS - is there a way to make quinoa flat bread out of quinoa flour? I use your garbanzo bean flat bread recipe, almost daily, but my store is having supply issues with Bob's Red Mill - ugh! No Garbanzo bean flour :/ We're allergic to everything else but quinoa and amaranth. I have quinoa on hand. Thanks!!