Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sun-dried tomato kale chips and soup

Misha "investigates" the grocery bags.
The canines continue their daily takeover of my kitchen. Do you think there is something they want in the kitchen? I'm a little puzzled. I think they are stalking me. Every time I go in the kitchen, there are my furry "little" (I say that facetiously) shadows.
Misha and Nika spar.
 Of course, even the would-be chefs have to reserve some time for play or are those teeth I see bared?
Misha and Nika take a break from "helping" out in the kitchen.
Actually, these two are BFF's as you can see in the picture above. Can you believe how quickly Nika, the one on the left, is catching up in size with Misha?

Sun-dried tomato kale chips
I have been working on trying to shed some extra poundage since November. I thought I was getting serious when I switched back to my strict low-glycemic diet at my health-care provider's urging to winter-proof me against a recurrence of candida. But alas, no poundage budged and some candida-related symptoms began to appear (stuffy nose, congestion, digestive problems).

I decided it was time to really dig in my heels. I have switched to a somewhat liquid diet in the form of smoothies and soups in order to detox my system and give it time to heal from my excesses (you know too many "healthy" cookie dough truffles).

I also make sure I have plenty of good-for-me snacks on hand to prevent over-indulging in something bad. That's why I continue to expand my kale chip recipe file. This week I tried Sun-dried tomato kale chips. My favorite soup of the week was Sunbutter Soup with Butternut Squash and Collard Greens. Recipes follow.

Sun-dried tomato kale chips

Ingredients:
  1. 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, soaked in boiling water for a few minutes
  2. 1 roma tomato, diced
  3. 1/4 cup tahini
  4. 1 T. Bragg's amino acids
  5. 3 T. lemon juice
  6. 2 T. olive oil
  7. salt and pepper
  8. 1 bunch kale, removed from stems and torn into small pieces
Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
  2. Wash and prepare the kale. Tear the kale into small pieces after removing from the stems.
  3. Allow the kale to dry or blot with a paper towel.
  4. Prepare the sundried tomato topping for the kale by placing all the ingredients, listed above, except for the kale in a food processor and blend until smooth.
  5. Pour 2 T. of the sundried tomato topping on the kale pieces, placed in a large bowl. Toss with your hands to distribute the sauce evenly.
  6. Spread the kale pieces on a large cookie sheet and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
  7. Turn the kale pieces over and continue drying in the oven for another 15 minutes.
  8. Allow to cool before storing in the fridge.
  9. Note: there will be plenty of extra sundried tomato topping for several other bunches of kale.

Sunbutter soup with butternut squash and collard greens

Sunbutter Soup with Butternut Squash and Collard Greens (meat or vegan options)

Ingredients:
  1. 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
  2. 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  3. 1 cup butternut squash, peeled and diced
  4. For meat version: 8 ounches boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into one-inch pieces
  5. 1/2 cup unsweetened sunbutter
  6. 1 cup collard greens, coarsely chopped
  7. 2 stalks celery, diced
  8. 1 carrot, peeled and diced
  9. salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Combine the stock, onion, butternut squash, celery and carrot in a stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add optional chicken, if desired. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together the sunbutter and 1/2 cup soup mixture into a thick paste. Add the collard greens to the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes to soften the collard greens. Stir in the sunbutter paste. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Makes 3-4 servings.
These recipes have been shared with: http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2012/01/12/wellness-weekend-january-12-16-2012/

    No comments: