|Attentive kitchen helpers
Can you believe the attentiveness of my two helpers in the kitchen? I used to teach elementary school and had to pull out all my bag of tricks to get this kind of attentiveness. Now, I head to the kitchen and my canine assistants will jump through hoops just for a piece of kale.
|Misha and Nika do a tandem dance of joy.
Here are my two helpers after they've lost hope of any food being dropped. Can you say canine kitchen obstacle course?
I was on a chocolate and raspberry kick for at least two weeks but finally have gotten my fill. My newest food passion is a combo of butternut squash, pear and sunbutter. This yummy combination, rich in nutrition, can be used in smoothies, soups, collard wraps and even ice cream.
|Butternut Squash-Pear Smoothie
I love following my morning workout with one of these babies for breakfast: Butternut Squash-Pear Smoothie topped with toasted pumpkin seeds and a dab of sunbutter.
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, cooked
- 1/2 pear, diced, skin on
- 1/2-3/4 cup hemp milk
- 1 T. rice protein powder
- 1 T. chia seeds
- 1 T. sunbutter
- 1/2 cup ice
- Optional toppings: more sunbutter, toasted pumpkin seeds, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Put all ingredients except for toppings in a high-powered blender and pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a glass or mug and top with a sprinkle of pumpkin seeds, dollop of sunbutter and spices.
Fastforward to mid-afternoon and I'm looking for the ingredients to make a Butternut Squash-Pear-Sunbutter collard wrap.
- One large collard leaf
- 2-3 slices of pear
- 1-2 tsp. sunbutter
- 2-3 pieces of diced, roasted butternut squash
- Optional: 1 T. toasted pumpkin seeds
- Prepare the collard leaf by removing the stem up to where it thins out.
- Smear sunbutter on the leaf
- Put the pear, butternut squash on one end.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds as an option.
- Roll up your collard wrap and enjoy!