Saturday, April 28, 2012

Two kinds of vegan ice cream sandwich cookies

Misha and Bailey enjoy some slumber time
I just watched the youtube video called,  "Unusual animal pairings."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYmsm5lmNwI&feature=fvwrel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYmsm5lmNwI&feature=fvwrel

This video brings tears to my eyes. It also got me thinking I've got some unusual animal pairings of my own. What do you think?

Do not disturb!

Bailey was sound asleep until I started snapping pictures of the sleeping duo. He seemed somewhat indignant as if to say, "Do you mind. We're sleeping here!"

Napping time: Nika and Kona style
Here we have two canines in a very unusual sleeping arrangement. Okay, I admit my pets are a little on the weird side.

Two kinds of vegan "ice cream" sandwiches
I wonder what dogs and cats dream about while they are sleeping. I'm guessing food! In my case, I dream about chocolate. This week I dreamed about two enormous chocolate ice cream sandwiches. They were bigger than Texas. Oh, wait a minute. That wasn't my dream. That was my food-obsessed malamute, Nika, dreaming about food. (She just got into trouble for stealing an energy bar from my husband's bikepack. She tried to eat the wrapping and all.)

Back to my ice cream sandwiches. I tried out two different kinds of ice cream sandwich cookies which were chocolate and no bake of course! And when I say ice cream, I actually mean frozen dessert since I don't eat traditional ice cream.

In the photo above, the ice cream sandwich on the left is made with Chocolate Quinoa Sandwich Cookies. Sunbutter freezer cookies were used for the one pictured on the right. I used a simple frozen concoction made with chocolate, avocado, protein powder and blueberries for the filling.

Chocolate Quinoa Sandwich Cookies
ACD Phase 2
(makes about 12 medium-sized cookies)

Ingredients:
  1. 1/2 cup tahini
  2. 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  3. 1 tsp. vanilla
  4. 1/4 cup ground sunflower seeds
  5. 1 cup quinoa flakes
  6. 1/4 cup cacao powder
  7. 1/4 tsp. sea salt
Directions:
  1. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
  2. Put all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the dough comes together.
  3. Remove mixture to a bowl.
  4. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet and flatten with wet hands.
  5. Chill in the freezer or fridge.
  6. Cookies store well in the freezer and maintain their chewy texture right out of the freezer.
  7. To make an ice cream sandwich, simply spoon your favorite frozen confection between two cookies and enjoy.
Sunbutter Freezer Cookies
ACD Phase 1 if using carob and omitting cacao nibs
(makes 6 medium cookies)

Ingredients:
  1. 3 T. sunbutter
  2. 1/4 cup water
  3. stevia to taste
  4. 2-3 T. cacao powder
  5. 2 T. vegan rice protein
  6. pinch of salt
  7. 1 T. chia seeds
  8. 2 T. cacao nibs
Directions:
  1. Mix all the ingredients in a food processor until dough comes together.
  2. Remove to a small bowl.
  3. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet covered with wax paper.
  4. Use wet hands to flatten the cookies.
  5. Chill in the freezer.
  6. Note: These cookies do not have that "out-of-the-freezer" chewy factor. They need to be defrosted a bit before making into ice cream sandwiches unless you have teeth of steel.
Chocolate Avocado Blueberry "Ice Cream"
(Makes enough for two ice cream sandwiches)

Directions:
Blend 1 avocado, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 3 T. cacao powder, 1 T. rice protein powder, stevia to taste in a food processor. Add more blueberries if necessary to get an ice cream-like texture. Stores well in freezer. Thaw slightly before dishing out.

Contributed to: http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2012/04/26/wellness-weekend-april-26-30-2012/




1 comment:

Blogger said...

3 Researches REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually get rid of fat by consuming Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 researches from major medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!