|PB&J (Sunbutter and Strawberry) Ice Cream Sundae
Here's what you need for 4-6 servings:
1 can full-fat coconut milk (I used Natural Value Natural Coconut Milk. It comes in BPA-free can and nothing is added. It can be ordered from Amazon.); reserve a bit for coconut cream topping.
Optional: Sub plain yogurt (vegan or other) for 1/2 of the coconut milk. It will give the ice cream a tangy flavor.
1/4 cup unsweetened sunflower seed butter or peanut butter (not ACD legal) if you can tolerate. Be sure and use the kind with no starches or sugars added.
1 large ripe pear (frozen, no need to peel)
1-2 cups organic strawberries (frozen or fresh), pureed
Sweetener, to taste
That's five ingredients!
Here's what you do:
- Early prep if you want instant ice cream: Freeze one large ripe, unpeeled pear ahead of time. Freeze the coconut milk in silicon ice-cube trays.
- In your food processor, blend until smooth the coconut milk or half coconut milk/half yogurt with sunbutter or peanut butter if tolerated, frozen pear and sweetener of choice. (I have been going sweetener free and it still tastes yummy.)
- Your ice cream is ready to eat at this point if you did the advance prep. If not, transfer the ice cream to another container and place in the freezer until firmed up. Or place in an ice cream freezer and follow directions to make ice cream.
- In the meantime, puree the strawberries.
- To serve, alternate layers of ice cream and strawberry puree in fancy parfait glasses or not-so-fancy 4-ounce canning jars.
Yes, I made two versions--fancy and plain old mason jar! They were both delicious.
Recipe contributed to:
|Do you think he's enjoying it?