Sunday, July 12, 2015

Reconditioning critical to getting well; paleo crepes with cheesecake filling

My hiking/walking buddies--Misha and Nika
I love walking with my walking buddies, Misha (the husky, foreground) and Nika (the malamute, in rear). We walk every day for about 4-5 miles. But it wasn't always so that I loved walking with my fur kids.

Three years ago, it was a struggle to walk because of the pain and fatigue of fibromyalgia. I could barely walk to the mailbox and back. Our mailbox is about 1/4 mile round trip from our house. I had to let other family members take over the responsibility of walking the fur kids.

 Then, my husband made a fenced-in walking area for me and the fur kids. Yes, we are lucky to live on a small farm so this was possible. We dubbed this fenced-in area, the play area. The dogs could dig and wander around while I walked as best as possible. Sometimes, I had to sit and rest and watch them play but it worked.

During this time, I followed the SHINE protocol outlined by Dr. Teitelbaum in From Fatigued to Fantastic,  followed several healing diets and started an exercise program, which was a blend of yoga, pilates and Tai Chi. Over time, I found walking was easier and I recovered more quickly.

I purchased a pedometer (actually a Fitbit) and pretty soon I was challenging myself to go farther and farther each day with my furry hiking buddies. The Fitbit was motivating to me because I could see how far I progressed each week, month and so on. Having walking buddies counting on me each day also was motivating.

The gang ready to go walking on a cold evening

Juicing, supplemental vitamins, and healing my stomach with kefir, homemade yogurt and cultured veggies (part of my healing protocol) also played an important role in getting me out there with enough energy to walk daily. The exercise plus healing protocol were important in getting my weight back to normal. I didn't let anyone take many pictures of me when I was really sick.

Why did I push myself to exercise even when my symptoms were flaring? I know reconditioning is a critical as you are getting well from fibromyalgia. It's important though to go at a reasonable pace for how you are feeling. As I mentioned before, I walked with my dogs in an enclosed area where I could stop and rest as needed. A dog park might provide a similar environment.

Here are some other things that helped me:

  • Start slowly. Maybe go five minutes or halfway down the block and back at first. Increase by one minute every day.
  • Have a buddy---either a furry one or a human one who can either walk with you or support what you are doing. 
  • Consider a meet up with someone else or a group at least once a week as you progress. I walk several times a week with a fellow fur parent.
  • Keep increasing your distance but never beyond a point where you feel good the next day. Eventually (and I mean over a long period of time), get to one hour a day or 10,000 steps.
  • Get a pedometer or something similar to keep track of your progress.
  •  Get your exercise outside if possible because you will benefit from the Vitamin D.
Please share your stories of success with us

Shortcake crepes
I always stick with my healing diet which is kind of a modified paleo, specific carbohydrate diet (SCD). I recently made some protein-rich crepes with a yogurt filling. They can be served as a dessert or snack or breakfast.

Here's what you need (for three medium crepes):

2 grassfed eggs
1 T. farmers' cheese or sub 1 T. almond flour (I used the farmers' cheese because I found my tummy isn't really ready for almond flour yet.)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 T. water
1/4 tsp. vanilla powder or extract
pinch of sea salt
1/4 tsp. grassfed gelatin
For the filling: your choice but I used homemade SCD yogurt mixed with stevia, vanilla and a few strawberries

Here's what you do:

Blend all your ingredients (except for gelatin) in a medium bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin on the top of the mixture and allow it to absorb before cooking the crepes.

Cook your crepes in a heavy skillet. Melt coconut oil in the pan and add 1/3 of the mixture. Cook about 2-3 minutes per side.

An easier cooking method is to line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spritz with olive oil. Heat your oven to 400 degrees. Divide the mixture into three pancakes on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until done.



 Fill the crepes with your favorite filling (even a veggie filling will work).

 You can modify this basic recipe to make many different versions. Here's my chocolate version. I'll share the recipe next time.

http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2015/07/allergy-free-wednesday-176.html


http://www.fibrobloggerdirectory.com/

3 comments:

Lee Good said...

So much useful info here, thanks so much

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

This means that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from major medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

Blogger said...

YoBit lets you to claim FREE COINS from over 100 unique crypto-currencies, you complete a captcha one time and claim as much as coins you want from the available offers.

After you make about 20-30 claims, you complete the captcha and keep claiming.

You can press claim as much as 30 times per one captcha.

The coins will held in your account, and you can exchange them to Bitcoins or USD.