Thursday, August 13, 2015

Chewing your food properly may help with fibro; campers' brownies

Eat slowly to improve our digestion

My stomach is upset right now because I didn't chew my food properly this morning. It's bloated and gassy, rumbling, and I'm burping. I was in a hurry as many people are when eating. I swallowed big bites which means I won't get the nutrition from the healthy meal I prepared. Swallowing big bites means improper digestion and all the assorted unpleasant symptoms.

Eating too quickly is a big problem for many people but it is a HUGE problem for someone with fibromyalgia. Those of us with fibro don't have robust digestive systems to begin with. Our digestive tract has been damaged; we lack many digestive enzymes; we have many food intolerances; we suffer from bacterial overgrowths; and we have numerous nutritional deficiencies.

And then, here I go gobbling up my meal. Yes, it takes longer to eat a meal slowly but the benefits our enormous for one's health. Chewing slowly is the beginning of the digestive process. By breaking up food into smaller pieces, your food is more easily digested. That's right, we're not snakes. We can't swallow our food whole and then digest it.
EAT SLOW
Chewing releases saliva which contains digestive enzymes. The longer you chew, the more time these enzymes have to start breaking down your food. All of this makes digestion easier on your body and your body more able to absorb nutrients from the food.

I, of course, have promised many times not to violate the rule: "I will not eat my food quickly." But I've already confessed that I violate this rule when I am in a hurry and/or really hungry.

Every time I violate this rule I am undermining all my other efforts to control my fibro symptoms. Duh! I have a bacterial overgrowth (SIBO and candida). I suppress it by eating the right foods that are chewed properly, not by gulping down my food.

Are you like me? Then, this is what we need to do all the time.

  • Take smaller bites of food.
  • Chew slowly
  • Chew until each bite of food has been liquified or lost all of its texture.
  • Finish chewing and swallowing completely before taking another bite of food.
  • Wait to drink fluids until you've swallowed your bite of food.
  • Don't talk while eating.
  • Don't eat with your mouth open as you swallow air.
What do you do if you are crunched for time?
  • Eat just enough to alleviate your hunger.
  • Save the rest to eat later as a snack.
Campers' brownie
Here's what I'm eating slowly---campers' brownie. You can make it in a skillet over your campfire or on your stove.

Ingredients you will need for one serving:

1 grassfed egg
2 T. flour of your choice (I chose cricket flour because other flours have more fermentation potential)
2 T.  farmers cheese or seed or nut butter of choice 
2 T. cocoa powder
stevia, to taste
pinch of sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup plain kefir, yogurt or dairy beverage of choice
optional: chocolate topping and dollops of your favorite seed or nut butter
1 T. coconut oil


Campers' brownie batter
Mix all your ingredients. Heat a skillet and coconut oil.

Cook over medium heat with lid in place.

Look for bubbles forming and batter pulling away from the sides to check for doneness.
Garnish with chocolate drizzle and/or spoonsful of your favorite seed or nut butter.

Serve as a brownie parfait layered with yogurt and more chocolate drizzle, if desired.

 http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2015/08/allergy-free-wednesday-180.html

http://www.fibrobloggerdirectory.com/ 

 http://www.beingfibromom.com/chronic-friday-linkup-6/



4 comments:

Buba4Turtle said...

I'm so guilty of eating fast. I take probiotic pills to help with my stomach issues, but gas and being bloated is a daily occurence. I didn't realize the connection of how I ate affected how my stomach digested.

Thank you for sharing at #ChronicFridayLinkup! I pinned your post to the Chronic Friday Linkup board at www.Pinterest.com/beingfibromom

Sheree Welshimer said...

Me too but I am trying so hard to eat slowly. It definitely improves how my stomach feels.

Blogger said...

3 Studies SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

This means that you literally kill fat by eating Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medical magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

Blogger said...

Did you know you can create short links with AdFly and earn $$$ for every visit to your short urls.