Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Kiwi Freeze

I learned once again this past week how important it is for anyone, but especially someone with stomach issues and allergies, to carefully read side effects when taking prescription or over-the-counter medicines. I'm still recovering from taking Mucinex which a nurse practitioner suggested I take for my chronic sinus problems. I experienced some of the rare side effects that left me pretty much incapacitated for four days. I hadn't felt that kind of stomach pain and gas since I realized four years ago that I was sensitive to artificial sweeteners. It's taken most of a week since I stopped taking it for my stomach to begin to feel more normal.

Prior to the whole Mucinex thing, I had finally gotten my stomach under control after eliminating chocolate from my diet. My stomach was feeling good but not my mind that kept telling me to eat chocolate, which I dearly love. Anyhow, I had to come up with some substitutes to keep my sweet tooth happy. The Kiwi Freeze was one of my chocolate substitutes.

Kiwi Freeze for 2 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup plain hemp milk
2 T. sweet rice flour for thickening
2-4 kiwis peeled and diced
sweetener of choice to taste (I used 2T. white grape juice concentrate)

Directions:
Add hemp milk and sweet rice flour to a medium saucepan. Whisk to mix and then add white grape juice concentrate. Bring slowly to a boil whisking constantly. Mixture will thicken to texture of pudding. Add more hemp milk or sweetener if needed. Transfer mixture to a container for cooling in the fridge. About half hour before serving, place the amount you're going to eat in a serving dish and transfer to the freezer. Allow the mixture to freeze slightly and then top with diced kiwis. Yum! In fact, my son thought I was making frosting when it was cooking because the smell and flavor was very similar.

No comments: