Sunday, February 7, 2010

Strawberry garbanzo bean flour cupcakes

Just mention Valentine's Day to me and I become ravenous for chocolate. I'm not sure why because some of my experiences with chocolate have been anything but positive. The saturated fat content in hard chocolate is too hard on my innards but yet it keeps calling my name.

This February I've been trying to treat myself with low glycemic desserts without chocolate. I made the two desserts, pictured here, from a batch of strawberry cupcakes I baked with mixture of garbanzo bean flour, brown rice flour and flax. The top one I call a berry trifle and the other is a strawberry shortcake. And I still have 10 cupcakes left to experiment with.Strawberry Garbanzo Bean Cupcakes

(makes 12 small cupcakes)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup garbanzo bean flour

1/4 cup brown rice flour

1/4 cup ground flax

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. sea salt

1 T. SweetLeaf powdered stevia

1 T. olive oil

2 T. tahini

1/2 cup unsweetened hempmilk or other dairy beverage

2 cups thawed frozen or fresh strawberries

Directions:

Preheat oven to 415 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake papers. Put strawberries in a food processor and puree slightly. Reserve strawberries.

Put all the other ingredients in a food processor and blend. Fill each cupcake paper with batter. Spoon one tablespoon of pureed strawberries on top of the cupcakes before placing in the oven. Bake for approximately 15 minutes. Remove from the oven to cool.

To assemble the trifle, layer berries, cupcake pieces (slightly frozen) and strawberry sorbet into dessert dishes. Make your own sorbet by whirling frozen strawberries in a food processor.

For strawberry shortcakes, top a cupcake with pureed berries and sorbet.

Note: Both desserts are better if placed in the freezer for a half hour or so prior to serving.

No comments: