|Bailey's version of Where's Waldo?|
|Cold avocado-spinach soup|
I remember when I was a kid growing up in sunny Southern California. We had an avocado tree in our yard and a backyard chicken, named Henny Penny, who always perched in the tree. Henny Penny had the opposite problem of Bailey. She was white and always easy to spot up in her avocado tree.
These days, the price of avocadoes has me wishing I had an avocado tree in my backyard. Avocado is one of the top twelve supermarket remedies to inhibit candida. It contains antifungal fatty acids and is low glycemic. Best of all, avocadoes are delicious!
Recently, I saw a recipe called Avocado Soup. It looked refreshing and yummy but needed some modifications for my diet. Here is my version.
Cold Avocado-Spinach Soup
- 2 ripe avocadoes (reserve 1/2 of a whole avocado for garnish)
- 1 cup unsweetened hemp milk (or other alternative dairy beverage of your choice)
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds + 1 T. for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion + 1 T. for garnish
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves
- salt to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup water
- Cut the avocadoes in half. Reserve 1/2 for garnish. Scoop out the meat of 1 1/2 avocadoes.
- Place the avocado and other ingredients in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve in bowls garnished with extra red onion, pumpkin seeds and diced avocado.
- Use any extra "soup" as a sauce or topping for tacos, pasta. It also makes a delicious salad dressing.
Get more healthy, delicious recipes at Weekend Wellness at http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2011/08/11/wellness-weekend-august-11-15/ I know I have benefitted from all the great ideas/recipes shared here.