|Cacao chip strawberry shortcake|
I admit I could snack on fresh strawberries just about all the time but sometimes you want something special. Strawberry shortcake is delicious but imagine a version that adds a touch of chocolate. You know me and my love of chocolate.
To create this dessert, I did some recipe borrowing from Diet, Dessert and Dogs. I used the basic grain-free coconut flour biscuit recipe (http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2009/08/18/grain-free-coconut-flour-biscuits/) and added 2 T. cacao chips to the dough. The chips mixed in well and voila the dessert was born.
Cacao chip strawberry shortcakes
Step 1: Make the shortcakes
- 1 T. lemon juice, plus enough unsweetened hemp milk (or other alternative dairy beverage) to equal 1 cup
- 3 T. ground flax seed
- 10+ drops of vanilla (alcohol-free) liquid stevia
- 2 T. melted coconut oil
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 T. coconut flour
- 3 T. garbanzo bean flour
- 2 T. cacao chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large cookie sheet with pan spray
- Place 1 T. lemon juice in a one-cup glass measuing cup and add milk to make one cup. Add the vanilla stevia and flax to the cup and stir; whisk in 2 T. of melted coconut oil until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut flour, garbanzo bean flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Pour the liquid ingredients in and stir to blend. Add in the cacao chips.Do not overmix. The mixture will be softer than regular dough but will hold together.
- Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop the batter and place mounds on the cookie sheet. Flatten each mound slightly with your palm, slightly dampened.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Optional: brush the tops with 1 T. additional melted coconut oil. Rotate the pan and continue baking for another 12-15 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool. Makes 6 biscuits. May be frozen.
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tsp. agar powder (not flakes)
- Place the coconut milk in a heavy saucepan. Sprinkle the agar powder on top. Allow to set for 5+ minutes
- Next, bring to boil and then simmer for 5-8 minutes
- Finally, turn off the heat and allow to set on the burner for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a storage container and put in the refrigerator to cool and gel
- 20+ drops of vanilla stevia
- dash of sea salt
- 2-4 + T. of unsweetened coconut milk
- agar base
- Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until creamy. Add more coconut milk if needed.
- Cut biscuits in half. Layer with vegan whipped topping and sliced fresh strawberries
|Fur kids, Misha and Nikka, spar over Misha's dinner|
To make one serving:
- Mix one cup unsweetened coconut milk with 1 T. Dandy Blend in a blender.
- Freeze into ice cubes.
- When ready for your treat, place ice cubes, vanilla stevia and additional coconut milk in blender to pulse into a delicious treat.
- Top with vegan whipped topping (recipe above) and sprinkle of cacao chips or chocolate sauce.