|Loon Lake Trail|
I used to go on weeklong backpacking trips, and the whole craving foods thing made more sense. Back then, it was ice cream I just had to have. Now, of course, it's still ice cream I crave. But because of candida and food allergies, these days I pass on stopping for a shake or ice cream cone on the way home. Instead, I head for an eatery with the huge salad bar where I can load up on fresh produce.
You'd think being in such a lovely place would be a distraction from food.
|Grilled Avocado-Tofu Salad|
Ingredients for 2 servings:
- 1 unpeeled avocado, halved, pit removed
- lime juice
- 6-8 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, cut into 5 rectangles (stick 3 pieces back in the fridge)
- rub for tofu: 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 T. garlic powder, 1 tsp. curry powder, 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- salt and pepper
- salad veggies: spring mix greens, red pepper, radishes, cucumbers, red cabbage
- salad dressing: 2 T. olive oil, 1 T. cider vinegar, 1 T. lemon juice, salt and pepper
- Preheat gas, charcoal or electric grill to medium heat. Rub the tofu with olive oil and spice mixture. Season avocado with salt and pepper and rub with olive oil and lime juice.
- Place the tofu on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side until grill marks form.
- Place the avocado flesh side down on the grill and cook for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the salad dressing.
- With a large spoon, remove the avocado halves from their skins and slice about 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut the tofu slices into bite-sized pieces.
- Arrange greens and other veggies on two dinner plates.
- Divide the avocado slices and tofu pieces between the two plates.
- Drizzle with salad dressing and season with salt and pepper.
- 1 handful fresh mint
- stevia to taste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cucumber, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
- lime juice to taste
- Crush mint. Combine with water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; strain out mint leaves. Add stevia to taste.
- Cut cucumber into pieces and place into food processor. Pulse until smooth. Add cooled mint syrup and lime juice to cucumber puree. Mix well.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze. Makes 4.
|Nika and Bailey chill out.|
Contributed to: http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2012/06/21/wellness-weekend-june-21-25-2012/