Friday, June 27, 2014

Seared cauliflower steaks with chard, asparagus and shrimp

I pedaled my bike to the farmer's market and came back with some yummy produce. I incorporated a lot of it into my Seared Cauliflower Steaks with Chard, Asparagus and Shrimp. I got the idea for this recipe from chef Ryan Scott of the LiveWell Network.

The original (sounded delicious) recipe had seared cauliflower steaks with crispy quinoa, golden raisins, hazelnuts, watercress and sherry dressing. I have to avoid most of the ingredients but maybe you don't so here's the link: http://livewellnetwork.com/Food-Rush/recipes/Seared-Cauliflower-with-Golden-Raisins-Watercress-Crispy-Quinoa-Hazelnuts-and-Sherry-Dressing/9496535

Here's how I made my version. Oh, I have to weigh my carbohydrates so I am including how many grams I used.
First you will need:
1 T. apple cider vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
2 tsp. dijon mustard
2 T. olive oil
1 cauliflower steak, slice of cauliflower 1/2-inch thick (80 grams)
6-8 shrimp
2 cups mixed greens (80 grams)
1 stalk of Swiss Chard (80 grams)
1/2 cup zucchini, cut into matchstick pieces (80 grams)
1 radish, cut into matchsticks (20 grams)
Few baby kale leaves (10 grams)
3 stalks asparagus, cut into 1-2-inch pieces (40 grams)
small handful of microgreens, baby greens cut from the garden

Here are the directions:

Whisk vinegar, Dijon mustard, olive oil and lemon juice until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper. Set dressing aside.

In a medium saucepan, blanch cauliflower in boiling water for three minutes. Remove from the pot. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over high heat and sear cauliflower until golden brown on both sides (Note: This is the best way I have ever eat cauliflower). Remove from the skillet. Season with salt and pepper.

In the same skillet, heat some additional olive oil and saute the zucchini, chard, kale and asparagus. Finally, saute your shrimp.

Toss mixed greens, sauteed veggies and shrimp with the vinaigrette. Arrange veggie/shrimp mixture around the cauliflower steak on a plate. Spoon on additional vinaigrette. Garnish with microgreens if you have some in your garden. I simply clipped off the tender leaves of baby lettuces, kale, beets and chard from plants growing in the garden.

Recipe submitted to:
http://laurasglutenfreepantry.com/2014/06/allergy-free-wednesdays-blog-hop-123.html



No comments: