Friday, May 15, 2015

The low fermentation lifestyle; cauliflower breakfast calzone

Bailey, the cat, and Misha, the husky, show us how to totally relax.

Fibro sufferers do best on low carb, high protein diets, according to Jacob Teitelbaum of The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution.


In my last post  http://catsinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2015/05/low-carb-best-for-fibro-plus-brownie.html,
I talked about carbohydrates and how some can sabotage your attempts to control your fibromyalgia symptoms. I scrutinize the carbohydrates I eat to make sure they are easily digested and monitor their serving size as well.

How can carbohydrates be the enemy?

The majority of fibro sufferers have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) which is caused by infections in the bowels, including candida and/or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). SIBO occurs in 90-100 percent of fibro patients.

 These conditions result in overgrowth of bad bacteria in the gut. This bad bacteria feeds on foods high in carbohydrates that are not easily digested. Conclusion: avoid the foods that feed bad bacteria because reducing bacterial overgrowth can significantly alleviate FM symptoms.

What do you eat to reduce bacterial, yeast overgrowths?

I focus on eating low FP carbs in modest amounts. Carbohydrates are assigned a FP potential number from 1 up depending on their biochemistry (types of sugars, fiber, sugar alcohols, glycemic index). I am not a biochemist so I rely on the work done by Norman Robillard in his book, Fast Tract Digestion IBS. Robillard has done all the food analysis and provides charts indicating the FP of most foods and the amount you can eat to avoid bacterial overgrowth. You can use a formula provided by Robillard to determine the FP if a food is not listed by him.

What do I eat on a typical day?

Robillard recommends keeping the total daily FP around 25-30. However, I tried to stay below 25 for the first six months on this diet. Use your daily symptoms (burping, gas, stomach upset, constipation, diarrhea, etc.) as a guide to help you determine if you are going too high in daily FP.

Breakfast:
Mainstays: grassfed eggs, lactose-free yogurt, low FP veggies (bok choy, zucchini, spinach, asparagus, chard and more), low FP fruit such as cantaloupe, strawberries.

Example: Spinach and lactose-free cheddar cheese omelet (Serves 1-FP 2): 1 cup raw spinach and 2 eggs.
Serve alone or add diced chicken or other meat of choice.


Lunch:
Mainstays: 4 ounces veggie/fruit juice made with juicer, salad with veggies, hard boiled egg and diced chicken or fish.

Example: Chef Salad (FP-3) with 2-3 cups of leafy greens, 2 cherry tomatoes, 3 slices cucumber, 2 slices red pepper, 2 ounces shredded sharp cheddar, 3 ounces diced chicken or tuna, 1 hard-boiled egg, 4 black olives, olive oil/vinegar dressing.


Dinner:
Mainstays: chicken, salmon, sablefish, ground turkey with greens, roasted or steamed veggies.

 Example: Broiled salmon with sauteed asparagus and mushrooms with mixed green salad (FP 7-serves 1) 1 salmon filet, 1-2 cremini mushrooms sliced, 2-3 stalks asparagus,  2 cups mixed greens with simple dressing of olive oil, salt/pepper and lemon juice.




Cauliflower breakfast calzone in the making
Here's a recipe I tried this week. My report: YUM! Start by making cauliflower crusts. Serves 3-FP 5  per serving)

You need:
1 1/2 cups riced cauliflower
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg
pinch of salt and black pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano

Mix everything together. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spritz with light spray of olive oil. Make 3 discs or crusts on the parchment paper. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top and press out the discs. Bake until crispy, about 12 minutes.




Preparing the filling
 Prepare your filling. It can be as simple as tomatoes and cheese. Or try my version which includes sauteed chard (1 small stalk), 3 diced cherry tomatoes and a light sprinkling of cheese. Add an over-easy egg for more protein.

Assembling
Place everything on the cauliflower crust.
Finished product
Fold over and enjoy.

Recipe contributed to:

http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2015/05/allergy-free-wednesday-167.html

http://www.fibrobloggerdirectory.com/































http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2015/05/allergy-free-wednesday-167.html

4 comments:

Buba4Turtle said...

This is a yummy breakfast recipe! I do have IBS so I avoid most carbs, dairy, caffeine, greasy foods, and citrus. In other words, all the good foods! haha Those are my big triggers, so I find alternates.

I found your post at this week's Fibro Friday.

Sheree Welshimer said...

Yes, there are so many triggers but you can find alternatives. I can't do regular dairy because the lactose is a trigger. However, I can tolerate lactose-free yogurt that I make myself by fermenting it for 24 hours plus to remove the lactose. It gives me more versatility with some recipes.

Good said...

The recipes look great though i am a little bit jealous as on my Low fermentation diet i cannot yet tolerate fried anything. i mainly poach chicken or fish and steam veges - very basic. i am off to poach some eggs right now!

Sheree Welshimer said...

I love poached eggs but sometimes I eat an over-easy one, cooked in olive oil. I don't really "fry" anything else. Mostly I steam or broil or roast. I understand how you feel but the low fermentation thing really helps. Also eating small meals seems to help.