I haven't eaten beets in a long time because of their carb count. But I have to get some carbs now that I'm following the caveman diet where grains are not allowed (kind of like the ACD diet). And beets in moderation are even allowed on the ACD diet. Just remember the word "moderation" with these chips.
Beet Chips (makes 4 servings)
- 2 medium beets
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel beets and slice thinly with a mandoline slicer. Note: The beets have to be thin to get crisp. My mandoline slicer blade was a bit dull and my slices were a little too thick which may account for why they got dark before they got done.
- In a bowl, toss the beets with olive oil
- Spray a large baking sheet with pan spray.
- Spread the beet slices out on the sheet in a single layer.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake until the edges of the beets begin to dry out. This takes a long time especially if the beets aren't thin enough. Plan on 30 minutes for super thin slices and 40-50 minutes for thicker slices.
- Check the beets often and remove individual chips as they get done.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool and crisp.
- Don't eat them all at one time!