|Kona babysitting Misha and Bailey|
|Three for fun|
|Whole amaranth and quinoa granola|
|Granola topping on berries and coconut cultured milk|
Once I got that cleaned up I turned around to see Bailey hanging like a monkey from one of my houseplants as it toppled to the floor. Yes, I know they look so cute and innocent but I have nicknamed them big Chaos (Misha) and Destructo Cat (Bailey). I never know what to expect next. If it weren't for their interactive toy (Kona), I cannot even imagine what chaos and destruction they would create.
Somehow in the midst of this pet chaos, I still managed to find time to try a new recipe: Whole Amaranth and Quinoa Granola. It's chocked full of whole grains, fiber, healthy seeds and low-glycemic sweetener. It makes the perfect topping for my new favorite, vegan So Delicious Cultured Coconut Milk, and summertime berries. My raspberry bushes are producing an abundant crop.
- 1/2 cup amaranth seeds
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup coconut nectar + 1 tsp. pure powdered stevia (substitute agave or yacon syrup if desired)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup flaked, unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup quinoa flakes (or substitute rolled oats)
- 1 cup dried yacon slices (crumbled) or substitute dried cranberries, cherries or blueberries
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees and put rack in the middle of the oven.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the amaranth when the skillet is heated. Cover with a glass lid and shake the pan until the amaranth is about half popped (approximately 1-2 minutes). Transfer the seeds to a large bowl. Add the quinoa flakes and other seeds.
- Combine the canola oil, syrup and stevia in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Pour the syrup mixture over the seeds. Stir until mixture is moist throughout.
- Evenly spread the mixture on a baking sheet. Bake until toasted and lightly browned, about 5-10 minutes. Stir and continue to bake until lightly browned all over, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Blend in the crumbled up yacon slices or other berries.
- Store the granola in an airtight container in the fridge.