Friday, July 29, 2011

No bean, no soy, no gluten veggie burgers with rutabaga fries

Veggie burger with rutabaga fries
I've been going crazy for a veggie burger but every pre-packaged variety has all the stuff I can't eat, and recipes are the same. I finally decided to re-invent the veggie burger, free of all the stuff I cannot eat because of delayed food allergies. This means my recipe has no beans, no soy, no gluten, no oats, no peppers and no mushrooms. I omitted spices/herbs but these can be optional. The burgers had plenty of flavor without them.

My veggie burgers looked more like giant cookies, according to my son, but hey, that means I can imagine I'm getting my entree and my dessert, all at the same time. I  replaced the beans with sweet potato and the typical red peppers and mushrooms with zucchini, which I have in abundance from the garden. Quinoa in various forms, flour, flakes and whole grain, replaced your typical oats and wheat flour. Rice protein was used instead of soy. Voila, a veggie burger for Sheree was born. And don't forget the fries. I chose to use rutabagas because they are low glycemic.

No bean, no soy, no gluten veggie burgers

Ingredients:
  1. 1/2 medium sweet potato, baked
  2. 1 carrot
  3. 1/2 medium yellow onion
  4. 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
  5. 2 handfuls of spinach
  6. 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
  7. 1 T. chia seeds
  8. 1/4 cup (possibly more) quinoa flour
  9. 1/2 cup cooked red quinoa (or black or regular)
  10. 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
  11. 1 T. vegan rice protein powder
  12. 1/4 tsp. sea salt
  13. dash of black pepper
  14. optional: spices/herbs such as basil, garlic
Directions:
  1. Place all ingredients except flour in a food processor and pulse to blend and chop.
  2. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add flour a little at a time until mixture holds together and is somewhat dry.
  3. Shape into 6-8 patties. Freeze patties not needed for your meal.
  4. Spray a skillet or grill with pan spray and olive oil. Cook veggie burgers on medium-high heat, about 5-8 minutes on each side.
Rutabaga fries

(2 servings_

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Peel 1 large rutabaga and cut into steak fries.
  3. Place in a bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
  4. Spray and oil a shallow baking sheet.
  5. Add to the pan in one layer.
  6. Bake for about 30 minutes or more until crispy and golden. Flip after about 15 minutes.
This recipe is linked to other healthy recipes at Wellness Weekends on http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2011/07/28/wellness-weekend-july-28-august-1/

2 comments:

Ricki said...

These sound great! So many veg burgers have breadcrumbs. . . I much prefer quinoa! Thanks for submitting the recipe to Wellness Weekend this week. :)

Ricki said...

PS Forgot to ask: are you on twitter? If so, what's your twitter name? :)