|Backpacking to Box Lake near McCall, Idaho|
|Misha recovering from backpacking trip|
|My recovery food: kale-topped sweet potato|
|Beets and sweets; another favorite|
It was absolutely perfect (well, except for the 1,800-feet elevation gain in 2.7 miles). There were no bugs; the lake and sky were crystal clear; and the temperature was in the 70s.
We're all nursing some sore legs after climbing and then descending the steep trail on the return. Misha, our Malamute-Husky, accompanied us and had another great adventure. He dug in the wet sand along the lake beach; chewed on all the pine cones he could find; and dove in the water again and again.
Now, he is tired as you can see in the picture above. He managed to find enough energy to hop up on the bed, where he is not supposed to be. I didn't have the heart to chase him off.
As for me, I am craving my favorite sweet potato dishes. One is kale-topped sweet potato which is oh, so easy to prepare. Simple-to-prepare dishes are my cup of tea.
Kale-topped Sweet Potato
- 1 baked sweet potato
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 diced zucchini
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp. olive oil
- optional: 2 garlic cloves minced
- lime-sunbutter dressing (2 T. sunbutter, 1/4 cup water, juice of one lime, 1 tsp. sesame seed oil, 1 T. sunflower seeds, dash of stevia)
- Saute the kale and zucchini in olive oil with the optional minced garlic cloves added if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whirl up lime-sunbutter dressing in your food processor.
- To assemble, top sweet potato with kale mixture and finish with a dollop of lime-sunbutter dressing.