|"Hey, Mom, Ritalin Boy takes us to the coffee shops sometimes but he doesn't share his coffee with us."|
But I'm not missing out on all the good stuff. Now, I enjoy Dandy Blend, an herbal coffee substitute made from roasted dandelion roots, and I don't have to worry about the side effects of coffee for me.
And, Ritalin Boy (hubby) drinks plenty of coffee for the both of us. I think he knows every coffee shop owner/manager within a 50-mile radius of home. Fortunately, he doesn't spend all of our money on coffee. But one of his coffee owner friends told him some customers budget as much as $400 a month for their beloved coffee.
|"Mom, one time I chewed up the console in the car because Ritalin Boy was in the coffee shop so long."|
I also add it to baked goods to punch up the flavor without adding as much sweetener. My latest creation, Dandy Blend Chocolate Chip Cookies, are addictive. They pack lots of protein because I used white beans and quinoa flakes instead of the traditional ingredients.
|Dandy Blend Chocolate Chip (Cacao Nib) Cookies|
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa flakes (or substitute gluten-free rolled oats)
- 1 can white beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 T. chia seeds
- dash of salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- vanilla stevia (no alcohol)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup cacao nibs or vegan chocolate chips
- 2 scoops chocolate rice protein powder
- 1 T. sunbutter (or other seed or nutbutter)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar and 1/4 cup coconut nectar (or omit and add more stevia)
- 1 T. Dandy Blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Put 1/2 cup quinoa flakes, chia, cinnamon, salt, stevia, protein powder and baking powder in a coffee grinder and grind until it resembles a coarse powder.
- Put this ground mixture along with everything else (but cacao nibs) in a food processor and blend. Add in the chips or nibs and give another quick blending.
- Scoop batter onto a sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake 15+ minutes. (watch carefully to make sure they stay soft not too crispy)
- Makes 12 large cookies.
Chocolate Quinoa Power Breakfast Cookies
or Quinoa Blueberry Breakfast Cookies
Recipe contributed to: http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2012/08/09/wellness-weekend-august-9-13-2012/