Saturday, June 27, 2015

I'll have extra salt but hold the carbs for fibro relief; plus chocolate-covered strawberry bars

Misha takes on couch potato pose with remote.
I was beginning to think hot summer temperatures (90s to 100+) were going to prove my match when it came to my fibro symptoms. My stomach was upset; my pain was worse; I was more tired than usual. I was chronically dehydrated because I spend a lot of time outdoors. Then, I remembered I need more salt.

In his book, From Fatigued to Fantastic, Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum advises fibro sufferers to increase their intake of salt and water. He says to aim for 8-15 grams of salt and a gallon of water per day.

 I looked at my sea salt container to see how much salt that would be. One-fourth teaspoon of sea salt is 1.5 grams. Two teaspoons of salt would be 12 grams. Three teaspoons would be 16 grams.

That seemed like a lot of salt but Teitelbaum writes in his book about another physician, Dr. David Bell,  who specializes in pediatric CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) patients. Bell found 19 out of 25 patients did better when they received a quart of intravenous salt solution (saline) each day.

I'll pass on the intravenous salt solution because it's so much easier to simply increase your salt intake. As summer temperatures have soared, I have been adding salt to my water bottle, my meals, my snacks, everything. At first, I thought "is this really a good idea?" Everywhere we read that people consume too much sodium. But the proof is in the pudding, so they say. I feel much better.
All you need is a friend to hang out with on a hot summer day.

My formula is "I'll have extra salt but hold the carbs, please." Sodium (salt) is essential for a healthy diet as it is one of the electrolytes. If you are eating a whole foods diet (free of junk food loaded with sugar and salt), you don't need to worry. Salt is liberally added to processed foods which adds up quickly along with a bunch of other ingredients you probably should avoid. Individuals with fibro often do better by following a low carb, higher protein diet. I follow a low carb, low fermentation diet.

I have read forums where people comment that salt sets off their fibro pain. What sets off pain varies from person to person. It's also important to look at your overall diet because high carb foods that feed bad bacteria in the gut may be the culprit.
Chocolate-covered strawberry bars
All this hot weather has made me crazy for frozen dessert bars. I made these Chocolate-Covered Strawberry Bars which, of course, are low carb and low fermentation.

Here's what you need for four bars:

1 cup strawberries (frozen or fresh)
1 T. yogurt of your choice or milk beverage of choice
1/4 cup coconut oil
stevia, to taste
pinch of sea salt

Here's what you need for the chocolate coating:

2 T. cocoa powder
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/8 tsp. vanilla powder
dash of cinnamon
stevia, to taste
dash of salt

Here's what you do:

Mix the strawberry bar ingredients in your Vitamix or other blender. Pour the mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper or wax paper. Place the pan in the freezer until the bars are frozen.

Once your strawberry mixture is frozen, cut bars or bite-sized pieces. Then, mix up the chocolate coating by melting the coconut oil first. Stir in the other ingredients until blended.

Dip your bars or bite-sized pieces into the chocolate coating. Rotate the pieces around to get complete chocolate coverage. Allow the bars to rest for a minute. Then, dip again to get a thicker chocolate coating. Return the bars to the freezer until ready to eat.

Article/recipe contributed to:
 http://www.tessadomesticdiva.com/2015/06/allergy-free-wednesday-174.html
 
http://www.fibrobloggerdirectory.com/





7 comments:

Vicki Montague said...

I love the look of these bars! I started on the SCD/GAPS diet back in March to try and get on top of my health issues...it is low carb and low sugar...and I found that I needed to up my salt intake too! I felt awful to begin with and then realised it was due to my electrolytes being out of balance. Now I put salt on everything I eat and I am fine! Good sea salt of course...not table salt!

Sheree Welshimer said...

I'm glad you are doing well. It was difficult for me to start salting everything but it makes me feel so much better too.

Sheree Welshimer said...

The SCD diet is amazing but I've had to tweak it a bit because of my sensitivity to carbs. It provides a great framework. I hope you continue to heal.

Lee Good said...

Thanks for this great info - I do need to drink more water and definitely have to curb the carbs to feel better. Making some veges for lunch!

Wendy said...

Great post, I have thought this for a while myself. You get told you eat too much salt and so give it all up but then if you don't eat processed foods. Where is your salt intake coming from. I pop a bit of Sea Salt into nearly everything I make now :D

Sheree Welshimer said...

That's exactly what I do. I don't eat any processed food anyway. I heard that 95 percent of our salt intake comes from processed food and only 5 percent from salting the food we cook ourselves.

Blogger said...

3 Researches PROVE How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by consuming coconut fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medicinal magazines are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!