|Nika and Bailey pause after playing|
Nothing compares to Bailey's relationship with our 12-year-old golden retriever, Kona. Bailey has adopted Kona as his surrogate mother. You can often find the twosome by simply following the loud purring as the Bailey and Kona snuggle together.
|Kona provides an interactive cat pillow for Bailey|
I had to make a video to preserve this great friendship. Check it out here:
|Misha naps on Kona|
Kona is so docile, unlike the rest of the brood, that she is even willing to be 60-pound Misha's pillow.
|Butternut squash crust pizza|
For the non-feline members of the house, I will serve Butternut Squash Crust Pizza with Swiss Chard Pesto for Bailey's birthday. Actually, I would be willing to eat this just about anytime.
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup raw grated butternut squash
- Optional: 1/2 clove minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. dry cilantro
- 1 T. olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 bunch swiss chard
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1 T. olive oil
- Use the remainder of the swiss chard leaves for sauteeing in olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grind the sunflower seeds in a food processor until they form a coarse flour. Add the remaining crush ingredients and process until the mixture forms a sticky ball.
- Spread the mixture onto a well-greased baking sheet. Divide into three portions and form small crusts rather than one large one.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake 25-30 minutes. Leave the crust in longer if needed.
- In the meantime, make the pesto in a food processor.
- Saute some additonal chard in olive oil for the topping.
- When the crust is done, remove from the oven and let it cool a few minutes.
- Spread some pesto on the crust. Top with sauteed swiss chard.
- Voila! Your pizza is ready to eat.