|Bailey enjoys a sunny window perch|
I'm hoping to enjoy St. Patty's Day much more this year. Last year, late winter/early spring was all about watching my pal, Pumpkin, die of feline AIDs. Now look at me. I've got more pet pals than I ever imagined.
|Misha mugging for the camera.|
Okay, enough of this foolishness. How about a pale green Pear-Avocado Smoothie for breakfast on St. Pat's Day or a deep green Spicy Butternut Collard Wrap for lunch or dinner?
|St. Pat's Day Smoothie in pale green|
St. Pat's Day Smoothie
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1 small ripe pear, cored but not peeled
- 3/4 cup unsweetened hemp milk or other non-dairy beverage
- 1 T. unsweetened sunbutter or other nut or seed butter
- stevia to taste
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 6+ ice cubes
- optional: 1 tsp. toasted pumpkin seeds or sprig of mint for garnish
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy in a high-powered blender.
- Serve topped with a sprinkle of green pumpkin seeds or sprig of fresh mint.
|Spicy Butternut Collard Wrap|
Spicy Butternut Collard Wrap
- 1 large collard leaf
- Dollop of spicy red pepper spread
- Slice of roasted butternut squash
- Shredded red cabbage
- Other roasted veggies such as zucchini
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika powder
- 3 T. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. miso paste
- 2 T. water
- 1/4 tsp. chipotle chili pepper powder
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers from a jar
- salt to taste
- Blend the ingredients for the Spicy Red Pepper Spread in a food processor. You will have extra for other wraps. I also used it as a marinade on grilled tofu.
- Spread 1 T. of spread on the trimmed collard leaf. Add the other ingredients and carefully roll up.