|Malamute Nika and her cat pal, Bailey|
Coconut butter boosts immunity because it contains lauric acid which is an antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral agent. Coconut butter makes a great snack. You can eat it straight from the jar; blend it with seed or nut butter for an easy-to-make candy-like treat: mix it in smoothies; or drizzle it over berries.
Now, which coconut butter should you buy? I have been a devoted consumer of Artisana Raw Coconut Butter for many years but recently I picked up a jar of MaraNatha All Natural Coconut Butter, a new product.
Okay, I admit I can't stop eating both of these coconut butters. They're delicious but there are some differences.
- The Artisana is raw and made from 100 percent organic coconut flesh. MaraNatha's product is a blend of "natural" coconut pulp and coconut oil.
- Artisana is priced at about $12 while MaraNatha is $8.50-9.00.
- Artisana has about 186 calories per 2 T. serving compared to 220 calories for MaraNatha.
- Artisana donates a portion of the profits to protect rainforests while MaraNatha makes claim to no such lofty goal.
|Raw red velvet cupcake, topped with coconut butter frosting|
Just writing this blog about coconut butter is making me hungry for some! It's a good thing I have some Raw Red Velvet Cupcakes topped with Coconut Butter Frosting in the fridge. I got the idea for these cupcakes from Heather at http://www.glutenfreecat.com Heather made a red velvet cake but it contained nuts which I cannot eat. With a little adapting, my cupcakes were born.
Here's what you need:
(Recipe makes about 6 cupcakes)
Recipe suitable for ACD-Stage 2 and up
- 1 cored and grated red apple such as Gala or Pink Lady (no need to remove the peel)
- 1 medium raw beet, peeled and grated
- 2 T. coconut oil, softened
- 1 T. sunbutter (homemade or store bought)
- Optional: sweetener such as stevia
- For the frosting, 2-4 T. coconut butter
- Grate the apple and beet in a food processor. Add the sunbutter and coconut oil and blend. Add the optional sweetener. (Honestly, it needs none!) Resist the urge to start snacking
- Spoon the mixture into a silicone cupcake pan. Place in the fridge to firm up the cupcakes.
To frost, soften your coconut butter and spoon some on top of each cupcake. Don't forget to lick the spoon!
|I'll stand on my head for some coconut butter!|