|Bailey is king of the fridge|
|Bailey dreams about cat food|
He's not at all happy about being on a diet and having to eat cat food formulated for overweight kitties.
What happened to the scrumptious birthday treat I had planned? Bailey turned up his little feline nose at the tuna snacks I prepared for him. Can you believe it from a little guy who is always on the prowl now for food? Oh well, the dogs were more than happy to celebrate his birthday for him. They eagerly gulped down a tuna snack or two in his honor.
|Bailey takes on Nika|
Now that Bailey is losing some kitty pudge, he is ready to take on goliath, A.K.A. Nika, our malamute. He is a spunky guy undeterred by the 6:1 size difference.
|Bailey in his scratch lounge|
I adapted the recipe from a 5-Layer Flat Belly Dessert to make it free of gluten, eggs, dairy, nuts and sugar.
- Chocolate brownies (recipe follows)
- Vegan whipped cream (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup toasted quinoa flakes
- 2 T. chia seeds
- 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 2-4 cups of fresh or frozen berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
Step 1: Make the Brownies
- 4 T. coconut oil
- 4 T. hemp milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 T. chia seed
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- stevia to taste
- Optional 2+ T. cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 325
- Blend all ingredients
- Spread in sprayed 8X8-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- 1 tsp. agar agar powder
- 1 cup almond milk
- stevia for sweetening
- 1-2 T. additional almond milk
- 3 drops coconut extract
- 1/2 of a block of extra firm tofu
- Prepare the agar base.
- Measure into a pot the 1 cup almond milk. Sprinkle in the agar powder.
- Let sit for 5 minutes
- Slowly bring to a boil for 5-8 minutes.
- Allow to set for 2 minutes before putting in the fridge to cool and thicken.
- Once thickened, put in a high-speed blender with additonal almond milk, coconut extract , tofu, and stevia, and blend until whipped and smooth.
- In ziploc type baggie, combine the quinoa flakes, chia seed, coconut and sunflower seeds. Seal the bag and shake to combine.
- Fill the bottom of a glass container of choice with a layer of brownies, split in half lengthwise.
- Evenly spread half the vegan whipped cream on top.
- Sprinkle some of the quinoa flake, coconut, seed mixture on top.
- Top with berries to cover the whole surface.
- Now repeat all four layers and end with berries. Sprinkle the top with cacao nibs.
- Note: Depending on the size of your bowl, you may have some remaining ingredients to make another dessert at a later time.